Staff Writer, Texas
Content: EditorialFull TimeTexas, TX
Who We Are:
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity Media is looking for a motivated and experienced Staff Writer to join our Narcity USA editorial team. The writer will play a pivotal role in our daily operations and our Texas coverage by breaking exclusive stories relevant to readers in Houston, Dallas, Austin & San Antonio.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves Texas and believes it’s the most interesting place in the world. They are excited about covering everything new and trending in their state, from political scandals and local celebrities to turquoise waterfalls.
The right person has a strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique local angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about creating content across multiple platforms, and about working both independently as well as alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
1. Strengthen the Content Divisions OKRs and Objectives
- Researching and writing timely articles
- Publishing 5+ stories per day
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Maintain high-quality work while meeting ambitious goals
2. Moving our story arch and narrative structure forward
- Breaking exclusive stories and getting big interviews
- Building relationships with sources in Texas’ biggest cities
- Independently chasing leads and pushing our journalism forward
- Producing content for all Narcity platforms including TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube
- Working with Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial content
- Being an ambassador for the Narcity brand in your state
- A minimum of 1-3 years of professional writing experience at a digital publisher
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field is preferred but not essential
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Texas
- An obsession with content research, tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles and execute on them quickly
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and viral topics
- Strongly familiar with various style guides, especially AP Style
- Experience creating content for social media platforms including TikTok, Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat is a plus
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule with occasional evening and weekend work.
- Flexible/Adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Open to Criticism and Ideas: Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
- Proactive: Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Creative/Innovative: Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
This is a permanent position open to candidates in Texas, but the Staff Writer must be able to work closely with editors and other writers across North America. We offer many perks such as a remote office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, basic health coverage, and a competitive salary.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and market
$38 000 - $45 000 USD
More About Us:
The name Narcity comes from the belief that we should all be narcissists for our city. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!