Associate Editor, Texas
Content: EditorialFull TimeTexas, TX
Who We Are
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity Media is looking for a motivated and experienced Associate Editor to join our Narcity USA editorial team. The Associate Editor will play a pivotal role in our daily operations by breaking exclusive stories relevant to readers in Texas, both independently and working alongside other writers and editors.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves Texas and believes it’s the most interesting place in the world. They are excited about covering everything from local politics to real estate to restaurants — whatever is happening in the state’s biggest cities.
The right person should have a strong network of sources and have a knack for finding unique local angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about writing, creating content across multiple platforms, and mentoring young and enthusiastic content creators.
- Strengthen the Editorial team’s OKRs and Objectives
- Meeting deadlines and assignments set by the manager
- Analyzing data and analytics, and seeking to increase reader engagement and grow Narcity’s audience
- Meeting or exceeding both team and personal traffic objectives through the creation of engaging articles
- Building a deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Texas’ biggest cities (Houston, Dallas, Dallas, San Antonio)
- Building a strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique angles
- Working with writers and other editors to break news, brainstorm impactful evergreen content, and spearhead exclusive interviews
- Acting as an ambassador for the Narcity brand in the United States
- Maintaining a positive and flexible attitude as the company continues to evolve and expand its mission
- Representing Narcity Media’s values online and offline during terms of employment
2. Hiring, Coaching and Leading Writers
- Leading a team of writers in the creation of timely, daily content
- Researching, assigning, editing, and writing articles, and producing content for all Narcity platforms including TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube
- Assisting in the recruitment, training, and management of content creators
3. Being an Expert on Tone & Editing
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Setting the voice and tone for Narcity in your state, staying on top of current events and building a network of local sources
- Respecting brand and quality guidelines set by Narcity Media for all content
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Exceptional verbal and written English skills
- 1-3 years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field is preferred but not essential
- A passion for a mix of research, data & analytics, local news, and management
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in your city
- Experience creating content for social media platforms including TikTok, Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat is a plus
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule with occasional weekend and evening work is crucial
- Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Attention to detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Strategic Thinking/ Visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude.
This is a permanent position open to candidates in Texas, but the Associate Editor must be able to work closely with editors and other writers across North America. We offer many perks such as a remote office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, basic health coverage, and a competitive salary.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and market
$48 000 - $53 000 USD
The name Narcity comes from the belief that you live in the most interesting place in the world. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!