Opinion & Essays Editor
EditorialFull TimeCanada, Remote
Who We Are
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity Media is looking to hire an experienced, compassionate editor to lead all Opinion & Essay content across our English editions. This person will report directly to the Editor-in-Chief and will play a pivotal role in our daily operations and our national coverage by introducing Narcity’s audience to Honest Opinions, Hot Takes & Personal Essays across topics including news, travel, food, real estate and more.
We are seeking an editor who is excited about managing a roster of freelance writers, as well as working with our in-house staff. Our ideal candidate will continue to push the boundaries of our conversational and often provocative tone as well as further solidify Narcity’s brand as the go-to source for the Gen Z and Millennial audience through the formal introduction of compelling personal essays and emotive opinion pieces.
The right person should have a network of freelance contacts who can bring a wide range of diverse voices and perspectives to the Narcity brand.
1. Strengthen the Editorial team’s OKRs and Objectives
- Researching, assigning, editing, and occasionally writing Opinion & Essays content.
- Building a strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique angles.
- Overseeing the production of multiple long-form stories a day.
2. Being an Expert on Tone & Editing
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice.
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate.
- Working with other Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial news content.
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Canada and worldwide.
- Representing Narcity at public events and being an ambassador for our brand.
3.Coaching and Leading Writers
- Building & fostering a network of freelance writers.
- Training in-house staff on how to produce compelling Opinion & Essays content.
- Planning ahead with weekly and monthly content calendars.
- 2+ years of professional writing experience at a digital publisher and an education in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- Possesses a network of freelancers that can be called upon when needed
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles and executing on them quickly
- A passion for producing Honest Opinions, Hot Takes & Personal Essays across a wide range of topics
- Strongly familiar with various style guides, especially AP Style
- Available to work a flexible, full-time schedule with occasional weekends and evenings required as needed.
You are/You have:
- Honesty/integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Organization and planning abilities: Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Attention to detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Ability to develop people: Coaches people in their current roles to improve performance, and prepare them for future roles.
- Proactivity: Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Creativity/innovation: Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
This is a permanent position based anywhere in Canada because we are a flexible-first company. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a remote office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, extensive benefit package and a competitive salary.
More About Us
The name Narcity comes from the belief that we should all be narcissists for our city. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!