Editorial Fellow, Toronto Desk
Narcity’s Fellowship program
Narcity’s Editorial fellowship is a great way for candidates to get real-world work experience with a national/local digital media outlet regardless of their age, background, and level of experience. Most importantly, fellows will be paid to receive valuable hands-on learning experience in journalism, while also helping us reach our own traffic & output objectives. This is your opportunity to prove you have what it takes to succeed in a collaborative remote working environment!
Available Fellowship Opportunities at Narcity:
Editorial Fellow — MTL Blog
Editorial Fellow — Narcity Canada, Toronto
Editorial Fellow — Narcity Canada, Global
Editorial Fellow — Narcity Quebec
Editorial Fellow — Narcity Canada, Trending
Narcity is looking for a motivated and enthusiastic Editorial Fellow to help us grow our coverage across Narcity Canada’s Toronto Desk. Our Fellowship will provide full-time professional experience for any candidate who is looking to explore a career in digital journalism, while simultaneously learning from a newsroom full of talented and dedicated journalists.
The fellow will play a pivotal role in the daily operation of the Toronto team by building on skills that will allow them to write timely stories, break exclusives, and produce real work that is distributed to our national and even international audience. This person should be a self-starter and an eager writer with a strong work ethic.
We are seeking a storyteller who believes Toronto is the most interesting place in the world. They must be excited to learn how to break national news, spotlight extraordinary people, and spread the word about under-the-radar destinations and events. Additionally, they must be passionate about working both independently and with like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
1.Develop storytelling skills while contributing to team output & traffic goals
- Researching and writing articles, experimenting with both news and evergreen content
- Learning how to creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Developing skills to ensure all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Building up to be able to write multiple stories a day by the end of the fellowship
2. Learn how to move a story forward with original reporting
- Work with editors to learn how to break exclusive stories and land big interviews
- Shadow editors throughout the team to see exactly how they work on an original story
- By the end of the fellowship, be able to independently chase leads that can push a story forward
- Exceptional verbal and written English communication skills
- A proven interest in writing or editing for a digital audience
- Solid knowledge of what’s happening and trending in Toronto
- Knowledge or experience within Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- Availability to work a flexible, full-time schedule.
You Are/You Have
- Flexible/adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Open to criticism and ideas: Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
- Proactive: Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Creative/innovative: Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Enthusiastic: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude.
- Work ethic: Possesses a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours to get the job done. Has a track record of working hard.
This is a paid full-time fellowship position. The start date will be in January 2022 and it will end in April 2022. Upon successful completion, there will be the possibility of an extension or a permanent full-time position. If your candidacy is retained, you will receive perks such as a remote office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, company-wide time off for the holidays, our extensive benefits package, and a competitive salary!
The Editorial Fellow position for the Toronto Desk is available and open to candidates across Canada and compensation will be 17$ an hour.
More About Us
The name Narcity comes from the belief that we should all be narcissists for our city. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!