Video Host & Reporter
VideoFull TimeToronto, ON
Who We Are
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
Simply put, Narcity Media’s growing Video Department is on a mission to revolutionize local news. Whether it’s live reporting on our various platforms, filming engaging and informative 1-minute video reports, or conducting must-watch interviews in the field, the video reporter is at the heart of action. Narcity Media is actively building on its vision for the future of local news using vertical video. If you are an ambitious, high-energy journalist with a passion for storytelling and a love for your city, join the revolution!
Take a glimpse into Narcity’s Live Reporting by checking out these examples below:
- Closures on Queen Street
- Live Reporting from Montreal’s Curfew Protest
- Police evicting Homeless Encampment in Toronto
- Injured Police Officer after Shots Fired Near MUHC
Narcity Media is looking to hire another resourceful and self-motivated Video Host & Reporter to join our rapidly growing video team. The host & reporter will play a pivotal role in our video operations by covering live and breaking news as assigned for Narcity Media’s various platforms.
We are seeking a storyteller with a strong background in live reporting, video production, and the digital news industry. You should be creative, driven, have a strong network of sources, and be passionate about working alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team. The ideal candidate will have accurate reporting skills, be self-motivated, and able to manage a fast-paced environment.
Your mission will be to help Narcity reinvent what local news looks like. You will directly impact and lift our live video initiative, and also provide taped items when required.
1. Live Reporting and production of High Volume 1-minute vertical videos in Toronto
- Responsible for proposing, developing, selecting, and reporting on news stories.
- Narrate and perform on Camera.
- Oversee coverage and planning for future events.
- Breaking exclusive stories and interviews.
- Vertical videos using your smartphone, in the field
2. Researching and Creating Video Content
- Research, write, conduct interviews, select clips, and produce news stories.
- Coordinate news gathering requirements in conjunction with the Video team lead.
- Write web copy and social media content for Narcity Canada.
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually correct.
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice.
- Working with producers to make sure we are the best source for local news and millennial content.
- Degree in Journalism and/or at least 3 years experience working in a major market newsroom
- Excellent knowledge of local news and current affairs, including municipal and provincial politics
- Proven sound editorial judgment
- Demonstrated ability to originate coverage on developing news stories and features
- Excellent writing, reporting, and live reporting skills
- Excellent communication skills; highly organized and self-motivated
- Able to handle multiple tasks and maintain creativity in a high-pressure, deadline-oriented environment
- A superstar video journalist who is able to command an audience using their infectious energy
- Creative/Innovative: Generates new and innovative approaches to their work every single day.
- Flexible/adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions in both the company and the media industry. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Strategic thinker/Visionary: Strategic thinker who is always looking for ways to improve distribution, engagement, reach, and content. Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way.
This is a permanent position, open to candidates in Toronto, Ontario. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a remote office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, extensive benefits package and a competitive salary.
The name Narcity comes from the belief that you live in the most interesting place in the world. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!