ContentFull TimeCanada/USA, Remote
Who We Are
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity Media is looking for a motivated and experienced Communications Specialist to join our rapidly expanding Content team. The Communications Specialist will report to the Director of Content and play a pivotal role in our daily operations by elevating Narcity’s industry recognition as well as championing our journalists and their work.
We are seeking a Communications Specialist whose main focus will be to boost Narcity’s reputation and branding within the media industry. They will accomplish this through building a network of connections, applying for journalism awards, and implementing proactive media outreach strategies. The Communications Specialist will be responsible for reaching out to local journalism groups and awards in order to put Narcity at the forefront of Canadian media.
The right person should have a strong network of contacts as well as the ability to create and maintain new contacts within the industry. This person should also have a knack for sharing important news regarding Narcity’s stories, accomplishments, and achievements beyond our standard readership. Lastly, the Communications Specialist should be passionate about working both independently as well as alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
1. Develop and implement communications strategies for Narcity Media's content and creators.
- Build and maintain relationships with the media in the publishing and advertising industries across Canada.
- Measure and evaluate the success of Narcity's communications and marketing efforts through media monitoring.
- Implement proactive media outreach efforts for the business.
- Create and distribute press releases, subscriber newsletters, and announcements.
2. Promote Narcity Media externally
- Increase awareness of Narcity Media and its various publications.
- Nurture partnerships with broadcast media to amplify Narcity Media's stories to new audiences.
- Create a mainstream media presence and increase brand awareness for Narcity Media's journalism brands and creators.
- Promote our top journalism to key players in the industry.
- Identify awards opportunities, preparing applications, and winning.
- Identify and join professional organizations that align with Narcity Media's mission.
- Develop relationships with notable journalism schools.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in communications/ PR and marketing.
- Knowledge and understanding of media monitoring.
- Knowledge and understanding of the publishing and advertising industries.
- Experience building a network of industry contacts.
- Experience creating and submitting award or grant applications.
- Ideally bilingual, English and French
- Available to work a full-time schedule Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm EST.
- Flexible: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Intelligent: Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Strategic: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Enthusiastic: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude.
This is a permanent position based anywhere in the United States or Canada, we are flexible first! Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a remote office fund, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, extensive benefits package, and a competitive salary.
More About Us
The name Narcity comes from the belief that we should all be narcissists for our city. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover; what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!