Desk Editor, Global
ContentFull TimeCanada/USA, Remote
Who We Are
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity Media is looking to hire a motivated and experienced editor to lead our new Global Desk. We are seeking a strong leader and storyteller who can break exclusive stories that are interesting to readers around the world as we expand our international coverage.
The Editor will manage a team of editors and writers, identifying stories on compelling places and people from around the globe that are interesting no matter where in the world they’re finding our readers.
The team will cover everything from viral global news and politics to international food & travel and real estate from across the globe. The editor will be expected to meet challenging goals for the desk and push it forward!
Who You Are
You are an ambitious and independent thinker who knows what Gen Z and millennial readers care about.
You should be excited about breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working with young and enthusiastic writers.
Before applying, please visit our site to get a feel for what we’re looking for. Here are some examples of our favorite global articles:
Strengthen the Editorial team’s OKRs and Objectives
- Breaking news, leading original investigations, and spearheading exclusive interviews.
- Researching, assigning, editing, and occasionally writing Global articles.
- Respond to breaking news on the fly.
- A strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique angles.
Coaching and Leading Writers & Editors
- Build & foster a network of writers and editors to break exclusive stories.
- Leading the Global desk in the creation of timely, daily content.
- Planning ahead with weekly and monthly content calendars.
Being an Expert on Tone & Editing
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice.
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate.
- Working with other Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial news content.
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending for the millennial audience worldwide.
- Representing Narcity at public events and being an ambassador for our brand.
- 2-5 years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher and ideally a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field.
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming.
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice.
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and news topics.
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule with occasional evening and weekend work.
- Flexible - Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Organized - Plans, organizes, and schedules objectives in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Attention to Detail - Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Knowledgeable - Must be passionate and knowledgeable about journalism in Canada while understanding the needs of a digital publication.
- Creativity/ innovation - Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
This is a permanent, remote position. Candidates can be based anywhere in the world (as long as they are able to work on an EST time zone schedule). Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a flexible-first office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, an extensive benefits package, and a competitive salary.
The name Narcity comes from the belief that you live in the most interesting place in the world. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!