Staff Writer, Global
EditorialFull TimeCanada/USA, Remote
Who We Are:
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity Media is looking for a motivated and experienced Staff Writer to help us launch our new Global Desk. The Staff Writer will play a pivotal role in our daily operations by working with other writers and editors to break exclusive stories that are interesting to readers around the world as we expand our international coverage.
We are seeking a storyteller who is on top of what’s trending around the world and can cover everything from viral global news and politics to international food & travel and real estate from across the globe.
The right person should have a strong network of sources and have a knack for finding unique angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working both independently as well as alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
1. Strengthen the Content Divisions OKRs and Objectives
- Researching and writing 5+ stories per day
- Balancing news output with original features & interviews
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Maintain high-quality work while meeting ambitious goals
2. Move our story arch and narrative structure forward
- Breaking exclusive stories and setting up interesting interviews
- Independently chasing leads and pushing our journalism forward
- Working with editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial content
- A minimum of 1-3 years of professional writing experience at a digital publisher and ideally a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending around the world
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles and execute on them quickly
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and viral topics
- Strongly familiarity with various style guides, especially AP Style
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule
- Flexible/adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Open to criticism and ideas: Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
- Proactive: Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Creative/innovative: Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
This is a permanent, remote position. Candidates can be based anywhere in the world (as long as they are able to work on an EST time zone schedule). Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a remote office fund, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, extensive benefits package, and a competitive salary.
$45 000 - $50 000
More About Us:
The name Narcity comes from the belief that we should all be narcissists for our city. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!