Staff Writer, Toronto
EditorialFull TimeToronto, ON
Who We Are
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity.com is looking for a motivated and experienced Staff Writer to join our rapidly expanding editorial team. The writer will play a pivotal role in our daily operations and our Toronto coverage by breaking exclusive stories relevant to readers in the city and the province.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves Toronto and believes it’s the most interesting place in the world. They are excited about covering everything from local politics to real estate to restaurants.
The right person should have a strong network of sources and have a knack for finding unique local angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working both independently as well as alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
1. Strengthen the Content Divisions OKRs and Objectives
- Researching and writing timely articles
- Publishing 5+ stories per day
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Maintain high-quality work while meeting ambitious goals
2. Move our story arch and narrative structure forward
- Breaking exclusive stories and getting big interviews
- Independently chasing leads and pushing our journalism forward
- Working with Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial content
- A minimum of 1-3 years of professional writing experience at a digital publisher and ideally a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Toronto
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles and executing on them quickly
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and viral topics
- Strongly familiar with various style guides, especially AP Style
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule from Sunday to Thursday, 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM EST is crucial.
- Flexible/adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Open to criticism and ideas: Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
- Proactive: Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Creative/innovative: Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
This is a permanent position, open to candidates in Toronto, Ontario. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a remote office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, extensive benefits package, and a competitive salary.
More About Us
The name Narcity comes from the belief that we should all be narcissists for our city. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!