Staff Writer, Commerce
CommerceFull TimeCanada, Remote
Who We Are:
We are a group of passionate creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity.com is looking for a motivated and experienced Trending Commerce Writer to join our rapidly expanding Commerce team. The writer will play a pivotal role in our daily operations and our Trending Deals content by creating engaging and relatable commerce content.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves Canada and believes it’s the most interesting place in the world. They are excited about finding trending new products, finding the best possible deal they can't wait to share with their friends, and spreading the word about awesome local businesses and up and coming ventures. An expert on SEO who will be able to create long-tail SEO commerce content to grow our long-term strategy!
The right person should have a strong interest in commerce with the ability to sell the benefits of a product or service across a multitude of topics. This person should be passionate about working alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
1. Strengthen the Commerce Divisions OKRs and Objectives
- Researching and writing timely articles
- Utilize SEO best practices to increase organic reach
- Publishing 5-7 stories per day (350 words)
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Maintain high-quality work while meeting ambitious goals
2. Move our Story Arch and Narrative Structure Forward
- Breaking exclusive deals and providing our audience with product lists that will make their life easier/better/more enjoyable!
- Working with Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial content
- 1-3 years of professional writing experience at a digital publisher and a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- A deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Canada, especially in commerce
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles and executing on them quickly
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and viral topics
- Strongly familiar with various style guides, especially AP Style
- Available to work Monday - Friday between 9AM and 5:00 PM EST (some flexibility available).
- Creativity/Innovation - Generates new and innovative approaches to their work every single day.
- Flexibility/Adaptability - adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions in both the company and the media industry. Copes effectively with complexity and change
- Openness to Criticism and Ideas - Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback
- Strategic Thinking/Visionary - able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
This is a permanent position based anywhere in Canada because we are a flexible-first company. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a flexible-first office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, extensive benefits package, and a competitive salary.
More About Us
The name Narcity comes from the belief that we should all be narcissists for our city. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!