Contributing Editor, Travel
Who We Are
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We are a group of passionate and creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers.
We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity USA is looking for a dedicated and experienced Contributing Editor, Travel to join our rapidly expanding editorial team. The Contributing Editor will play a pivotal role in our daily operations and lead our Travel, Things to Do, and Eat & Drink coverage in the United States.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves travel and believes the local experience is the most interesting experience. They are as excited about spreading the word about awesome newsworthy events as they are about discovering secret waterfalls and taste-testing gigantic mimosas. They should have a passion for travel and the ability to inspire our readers to be curious about cities all over the U.S.
The right person should have a strong network of contacts across the country and have a knack for finding unique local angles. They should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
Leading and executing on the content and growth strategy
- Finding, commissioning, and editing game-changing articles.
- Spotting unique angles on the top stories of the day while simultaneously plotting out the content calendar.
- Writing, assigning, and editing several stories per day.
- Ensuring the accuracy, consistency, and compliance with standards of all the material on the site (SEO, articles, headlines, photos, captions, video, etc.).
- Hiring and training new freelancers across the country.
- Representing Narcity Media’s values online and offline.
Strengthen the Content Divisions OKRs
- Working closely with Narcity Media’s Director of Content to establish goals and plans to exceed them.
- Keeping track of daily production and performance of content.
- Reviewing analytics to make sure we’re serving our audience.
- Meeting traffic growth OKRs and objectives.
- 3+ years of editorial experience in digital media or a publication.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field.
- Professional or personal experience with Travel writing.
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in the United States, including an extensive network of contacts.
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles, and executing on them quickly.
- Strongly familiar with various style guides, especially AP style.
- Established experience bringing new ideas to the table and executing them in line with the brand’s mission.
- Strong understanding of content distribution online, with an emphasis on SEO.
- Creative/Innovative: Generates new and innovative approaches to their work every single day.
- Flexible/Adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions in both the company and the media industry. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Open to Criticism and New Ideas: Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
- Strategic Thinker/Visionary: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
This is a Fixed Term, three-month contract position, open to candidates anywhere in the United States. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
The name Narcity comes from the belief that you live in the most interesting place in the world. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!