EditorialFull TimeToronto, ON
Who We Are
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity Media is looking to hire a motivated and experienced Toronto Editor. We are seeking a storyteller who loves Toronto and wants to express it through the creation of engaging and relatable content.
The Toronto Editor will help manage our Toronto Desk, composed of two editors and six writers. Our Toronto Desk covers everything from politics to real estate to restaurants — whatever is trending in the Toronto area. We want them to achieve very high goals for the desk and push it forward!
Who You Are
You are an ambitious and independent thinker who knows what millennials care about. Our editors want Narcity to be the best source of information for their communities, whether it’s breaking down new legislation, spotlighting extraordinary local characters, or spreading the word about urgent public health issues that everyone should know about. You should be excited about breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working with young and enthusiastic writers.
Before applying, please visit our site to get a feel for what we’re looking for. Here are some examples of our favorite articles:
- All The Proof You Need That Toronto Drivers Have No Idea How To Park
- What 9 Torontonians Want Canada’s Next PM To Know — In Their Own Words
- This Toronto House For Sale For $599,000 Is Actually Just An Old Garage & Some Land
- The First Look Inside Toronto Zoo's Illuminated Trail That Is Opening Today
- Justin Trudeau Got Threatened At An Event Near Toronto Last Night
1. Strengthen the Editorial team’s OKRs and Objectives
- Breaking news, leading original investigations, and spearheading exclusive interviews.
- Researching, assigning, editing, and occasionally writing Toronto articles.
- Respond to breaking news on the fly.
- Publishing 15-20 news stories per day (300-600 words) across the team.
- A strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique angles.
2. Coaching and Leading Writers & Editors
- Build & foster a network of writers and editors to break exclusive stories.
- Leading the Toronto desk in the creation of timely, daily content.
- Planning ahead with weekly and monthly content calendars.
3. Being an Expert on Tone & Editing
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice.
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate.
- Working with other Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial news content.
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Toronto.
- Representing Narcity at public events and being an ambassador for our brand.
- 2-5 years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher and a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field.
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming.
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice.
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and news topics.
- Availability to work Monday through Friday starting at 9 AM EST.
- Flexible - Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Organized - Plans, organizes, and schedules objectives in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Attention to Detail - Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Knowledgeable - Must be passionate and knowledgeable about journalism in Canada while understanding the needs of a digital publication.
This is a permanent position based in Toronto, but the editor must be able to work closely with writers across the country. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a remote office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, an extensive benefits package, and a competitive salary.
The name Narcity comes from the belief that you live in the most interesting place in the world. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!