Staff Writer, Trending
EditorialFull TimeCanada, Remote
Who We Are:
Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity Media is looking for a motivated and experienced Staff Writer to join our rapidly expanding Trending team. The Staff Writer will play a pivotal role in our daily operations and our national coverage by breaking exclusive stories that are relevant to readers across the entire country.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves Canada and believes it’s the most interesting place in the world. They are excited about breaking national news, spotlighting extraordinary Canadians, and spreading the word about under-the-radar destinations and events.
The right person should have a strong network of sources and have a knack for finding unique angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working both independently as well as alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
1. Strengthen the Content Divisions OKRs and Objectives
- Researching and writing timely articles
- Publishing 5-7 stories per day
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Maintain high-quality work while meeting ambitious goals
2. Move our story arch and narrative structure forward
- Breaking exclusive stories and getting exclusive interviews
- Independently chasing leads and pushing our journalism forward
- Working with Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial content
- Exceptional verbal and written English skills
- 1-3 years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher and ideally a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- A passion for a mix of research, data & analytics, local news, and management
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice
- Deep knowledge of what is happening and trending across the country
- Available to work a flexible, full-time schedule with occasional weekends and evenings required as needed.
- Flexible/adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Open to criticism and ideas: Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
- Proactive: Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Creative/innovative: Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
This is a permanent position based anywhere in Canada. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a remote office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, an extensive benefits package, and a competitive salary.
$45 000 - $50 000
The name Narcity comes from the belief that you live in the most interesting place in the world. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!