EditorialFull TimeCanada, Remote
Who We Are:
Narcity.com is a digital-only news & travel site that reaches millions of people monthly. We are a group of passionate and creative individuals who are devoted to creating the best local content for our readers.
We are on a mission to help our readers discover everything that’s new, now, and next where they live — because it’s the most interesting place in the world.
Narcity.com is looking for a motivated and experienced Staff Writer to join our rapidly expanding editorial team. The writer will play a pivotal role in our daily operations and our Trending coverage by breaking exclusive local stories in major cities across Canada.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves Canada and believes it’s the most interesting place in the world. They are excited about breaking down new legislation, spotlighting extraordinary local characters, and spreading the word about awesome newsworthy events.
The right person should have a strong network of sources, comfortable working autonomously, and have a knack for finding unique local angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working alongside like-minded creatives on an enthusiastic team.
1. Strengthen the Content Divisions OKRs and Objectives
- Researching and writing timely articles
- Publishing several stories per day in a fast-paced environment
- Creating compelling packaging in the Narcity voice
- Ensuring all information is properly cited and factually accurate
- Maintaining high-quality work while meeting ambitious goals
- Breaking exclusive stories and getting exclusive interviews
- Working with Editors to make sure we are the best website for millennial content
- 1-3 years of professional writing experience at a digital publisher and a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- A deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in Canada
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles and executing on them quickly
- A passion for a mix of research, investigative work, enterprise stories, and viral topics
- Strongly familiar with various style guides, especially AP Style
- Creative/innovative: Generates new and innovative approaches to their work every single day.
- Flexible/adaptable: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions in both the company and the media industry. Copes effectively with complexity and change
- Open to criticism and new ideas: Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback
- A strategic thinker/visionary: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
Available to work Sunday-Thursday between 12:00 PM and 8:00 PM EST or Tuesday-Saturday between 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM, with some weekends, required depending on the news cycle.
This is a permanent position based anywhere in Canada. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a flexible-first office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, extensive benefits package and a competitive salary.
More About Us
The name Narcity comes from the belief that we should all be narcissists for our city. Narcity is the spark that connects you with the awesome city where you live. Every single day, you can discover what's new, what's now, and what's next, and the tools you need to uncover the people, places, and passions that power your city.
Why do what we do every day? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can’t wait to talk with you!