Senior Business Developer
Team HustleFull TimeVancouver, BC
Senior Business Developer
Full Time Position
Job Code: BDD
Mount Pleasant, Vancouver
We are an innovative and well-respected, cutting edge multidisciplinary research and engineering consultancy that blends equal parts technical knowledge, creative fervour, aesthetics, and experience to serve our clients.
We combine deep knowledge of physics and engineering to overcome the technical and supply chain challenges that many companies struggle to overcome as they move from the lab to the assembly line.
We employ a First Principles approach that allows us to solve our clients’ hard problems. These problems often involve experimental research and development and have led to highly innovative, patented designs at scale.
Our core areas of technological expertise include Embedded Vision, Cloud (AWS/Azure) IoT, Low Power Electronics, and Wireless Connectivity (Bluetooth, WiFi, Cellular and Satellite), with a focus on projects that contribute to a world where scarcity is a thing of the past and our planet gets healthier every day.
About the Role
We are seeking a Senior Head of Sales and Business Development. As a lead from the front, collaboration-oriented sales professional, your primary mission is to develop new business and help the company scale in its next phase of significant growth. As a front line, boots-on-the-ground, technical business professional this role will identify and drive new business across international markets, with a strong focus on the continental United States.
The candidate will have past proven track record of selling hardware engineering services solutions for an organization that has scaled from 20 to 50+ people. They will thrive on identifying, pursuing and closing high level partnership deals and have a good depth of experience developing relationships with both C-Level executive management decision makers at large enterprises as well as venture-funded startups.
As well as bringing in new work, the role will equally involve refining our strategy, tactics and process as well as mentoring and expanding our existing business development team.
An existing deep rolodex and knowledge of related companies in hardware is a must.
- Finding new accounts that include multiple annual deals over $1M
- Adding and maintaining people, companies, and opportunities to the CRM
- Leverage and improve an existing event-based outreach strategy to find new opportunities
- Developing new partnerships in line with the strategy set out by the Partnership Developer role
- Maintaining client satisfaction, and providing an escalation path to Directors when issues arise
- Leading continuous improvement of sales strategy, tactics and process
- BS/MS Degree in an engineering discipline or equivalent experience
- Deep technical experience with silicon, systems, and application solutions.
- Understanding and awareness of current trends in Intelligent Devices, such as embedded systems, IoT and autonomous architectures and designs
- Proven results in selling, and knowledge of, complex embedded system design and product development
- Experience in lead generation, sourcing, positioning, managing, relationship building, and selling to C-Level executives/customers in US markets
- Strong track record in maintaining significant customer relationships and identifying new business opportunities across different verticals.
- Ability to build rapport and trust internally with company engineering teams.
- Experience gaining technical alignment to successfully identify, evaluate and execute strategies
- Legal ability to travel within continental North America
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills - a “Pull Together” mindset
- A "Make it happen" attitude - no excuses, punch through obstacles, do not accept failure.
- Demonstrate a consultative sales approach with experience in constructing and delivering complex account specific business development and sales plans.
- Critical thinking and analysis of strategic outcomes given multiple options.
- Class A communicator across all mediums, both internally and externally. Ability to persuade and influence stakeholders with strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Creative problem solving including proven ability to manage customer and partner relationships and navigate potential conflicts for win-win outcome. Ability to positively and effectively influence under difficult circumstances.
- Strong leadership and business partnering skills who understands key performance measurements to measure success of strategic and operating initiatives
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, partners and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to drive results and meet tight deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail, which will be demonstrated by effectively prioritizing and executing tasks in a high-pressure environment.
In addition to the base salary, MistyWest offers a dynamic salary top-up based on profit sharing, equity, banked time and other benefits. The total cash compensation may be up to CAD $191K with profit sharing and 43 hours/week on average (this is an estimate based on internal and external benchmark data -actual total compensation may differ).
Base salary range for this role: $140,000 to $160,000 based on a 37.5 hour week
Compensation for this role will be commensurate with experience and the degree to which the candidate fulfills the various requirements of the role.
Benefits & Perks of the Job
Benefits include the following (we’re always adding more):
- Banked Time: Westies are paid for every hour they work in excess of 37.5 hours per week, paid out quarterly
- 4 weeks paid vacation and 5 sick days annually
- Generous parental and compassionate care leave
- Comprehensive medical and dental plan from Sun Life with 100% paramedical coverage
- $1000 discretionary Professional Development budget per annum
- 3 paid days off for Professional Development
- Flexible work schedule & opportunity to telecommute
- Access to full laboratory and workshop for personal projects
- Well stocked corporate library & access to complimentary online learning subscriptions (Skillshare, etc)
- Makerlabs corporate membership
- Attractive, bright, open-plan, dog-friendly office in Mount Pleasant.
- Office snacks!
- Opportunities to travel to professional conferences like CES, SXSW, Siggraph, and more
- Complimentary staff events like ski trips, parties, shared meals, and community events
We are Westies. United as Impact Architects, diverse by expertise. We are engineers, mathematicians, roboticists, physicists, scientists, designers, researchers, and misfits who crave complex problems to radically pivot today, and realize a positive tomorrow, through impactful technology.
We target projects that have the potential for high-impact, whether it’s improving the human condition, impacting sustainability in a positive way, or otherwise moving us collectively to an inclusively abundant future. We use the UN Sustainable Development Goals as a guide for how to measure impact and progress. Our clients leverage our multidisciplinary team (industrial, mechanical, electrical, software design + engineering) to accelerate productization from ideation through advanced prototyping to alpha/beta release.
We are inspired to transform what our world can be. With hard science, serendipitous discovery, and breakthrough technology. The journey is complex and failure-filled. The potential is unlimited and incredibly bright.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter & resume as a PDF file only.
We also would like to see your LinkedIn URL and a suitable picture of a baby animal in a hat (required).
Please submit via the link on our careers page, do not apply directly on sites such as Glassdoor, Linkedin or Indeed.
Please do not attach Word documents, as these cannot be read by our Applicant Tracking System and will be rejected.
Applicants without the baby animal in a hat image will not be considered.
MistyWest is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are actively working to reduce and eliminate barriers to entry for traditionally marginalized groups and individuals.
Have a question about our hiring or recruitment practices? Ask us!