Intermediate Mechatronics Engineer
Projects/TechnicalFull TimeVancouver, BC
Intermediate Mechatronics Engineer
Full Time Position
Job Code: MEC
Mount Pleasant, Vancouver
MistyWest is a multidisciplinary engineering consultancy specializing in prototyping and early-stage product development.
We create futuristic technologies that enable a healthier planet and bring prosperity to all humankind. We do this by combining our deep knowledge of physics, engineering and manufacturing to overcome technical barriers and turn concepts into products.
About the Role
The successful candidate will be responsible for championing mechatronic work for a variety of projects and must be confident in their ability to rapidly create custom solutions to solve difficult mechanical and electrical design challenges and develop early concept prototypes that meet client expectations.
Depending on the project, this involves a combination of research, early conceptualization, rapid prototyping, design iteration and testing followed by detailed design for fabrication and assembly of functional prototype devices. Deliverables can range from a few functional prototype devices to a complete design package that the client can take to high volume production with a contract manufacturer. The successful candidate will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of project managers, engineers, and designers in a variety of industries and market segments.
MistyWest develops products in many innovative applications, bringing a variety of opportunities to learn something new. This role will require close integration with the rest of the electrical and firmware teams, so good communication is a must!
Please confirm in your cover letter that you meet these requirements, or if you don't meet them, how you propose to overcome that challenge.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics Engineering or equivalent
- 4+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience and/or interest in working in a client-facing role or at an engineering consultancy specializing in product design
- Experience doing Technical Leadership: including turning needs into engineering specifications
- Proficient in 3D CAD modelling (Solidworks preferred) and PCB layout/schematic software (Altium preferred)
- Design for rapid prototyping (ie. machining, 3D printing, vacuum forming, laser/water-jet cutting, etc.)
- Multi-layer board design, preferred experience in high speed, differential, and controlled impedance routing
- Experience with analog circuit and mixed signal design
- Experience with embedded programming (C/C++, FreeRTOS) and embedded Linux
- Experience with general software development (Python, C++) and tools (git, unit/integration/functional testing, CI/CD, etc.)
- Hands-on experience assembling prototypes and troubleshooting integrated systems
- Ability to work independently with little supervision in addition to working effectively in a team environment
- EIT or P.Eng registration
- Experience designing sealed enclosures and pressure vessels, thermodynamic systems, pneumatic systems
- Experience with firmware for ARM microcontrollers (ie. Nordic nRF52 or STM32)
- Experience with firmware design principles (RTOS, ADCs, DACs, sampling and data processing, current consumption, and overall device performance metrics)
- Experience with cloud software (ie. Azure or AWS)
- Experience with FEA, CFD using SolidWorks or similar
- Experience designing to meet various certifications and compliance testing (drop, impact, vibration, ingress protection)
- Experience with rapid prototype manufacturing processes and using fast-turn vendors
- Experience with electrical system certification is desired (e.g. CE, CSA, UL, FCC, ISO)
- Knowledge of wireless communication protocols (TCP/IP, WiFi, Bluetooth/BLE, LoRaWAN, Zigbee, etc.)
- Familiarity with QMS for standards such as ISO 13485 and FDA 610
- Multidisciplinary engineering experience, especially in electrical design, firmware or software development
- Experience with rapid prototyping control platforms (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, TI Launchpad)
- Experience with Altium, software revision control, debugging
- Experience with Python or other scripting languages
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally on occasion
The annual base salary range for this role is $66,000 to $76,000 based on 37.5 hours per week ($70,400 - $81,067 based on standard 40 hour week) however, total compensation for this role may be up to $92,000.
In addition to a base salary, MistyWest offers a dynamic salary top-up based on profit sharing, equity, banked time, and other discretionary bonuses. This is an average based on what previous Westies in this role have made - actual total compensation may differ.
Benefits & Perks of the Job
Benefits include the following (we’re always adding more):
- Banked time: MistyWest compensates our salaried staff for all overtime hours worked paid out on a quarterly basis
- 4 Weeks Paid vacation and 5 sick days annually to start
- Flexible working arrangements: remote working, variable weekly hours, home office stipend & more as we adapt to a post-Covid19 world
- Generous parental and compassionate care leave
- Supported extended leaves and Sabbaticals
- Comprehensive medical and dental plan from Sun Life with 100% paramedical coverage
- $1000 discretionary Professional Development budget per annum to start
- 3 paid days off for Professional Development to start
- Access to full laboratory and workshop for personal projects
- Well stocked corporate library & access to complimentary online learning subscriptions (Skillshare, Coursera, etc)
- Makerlabs corporate membership
- Accessible, attractive, bright, open-plan, dog-friendly office in Mount Pleasant, close to many great restaurants such as Burgoo, Salvio Volpe, Matchstick Coffee, and more.
- Office snacks and high end espresso machine with revolving espresso selection
- Opportunities to travel to professional conferences like CES, SXSW, Siggraph, and more
- Complimentary staff events like ski trips, parties, shared meals, and community events
We are Westies. United as Impact Architects, diverse by expertise. We are engineers, mathematicians, roboticists, physicists, scientists, designers, researchers, and misfits who crave complex problems to radically pivot today, and realize a positive tomorrow, through impactful technology.
We target projects that have the potential for high-impact, whether it’s improving the human condition, impacting sustainability in a positive way, or otherwise moving us collectively to an inclusively abundant future.
Our clients leverage our multidisciplinary team (industrial, mechanical, electrical, software design + engineering) to accelerate productization from ideation through advanced prototyping to alpha release. We are inspired to transform what our world can be. With hard science, serendipitous discovery, and breakthrough technology. The journey is complex and failure-filled. The potential is unlimited and incredibly bright.
How to Apply
1) Your resume & cover letter in PDF format (Word docs won't load in our tracking system)
2) Include links or PDF of past work you are proud of
3) Picture of a baby animal in a hat **Applicants without this will not be considered.
Please ONLY submit these via our Careers website (applications submitted via Indeed, Glassdoor or LinkedIn may not reach us promptly or at all). Emailed applications will likewise not be accepted.
Careers Page link: https://secure.collage.co/jobs/mistywest
MistyWest is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are actively working to reduce and eliminate barriers to entry for traditionally marginalized groups and individuals.
Have a question about our hiring or recruitment practices? Ask us!