Senior Electronics Engineer
Projects/TechnicalFull TimeVancouver, BC
Senior Electronics / Hardware Engineer
Full Time Position
Job Code: EE
Mount Pleasant, Vancouver
MistyWest is a multidisciplinary engineering consultancy specializing in prototyping and early-stage product development.
This role requires an ability to identify the core electronic requirements of a project and then envision the full electronic portion of this system. The candidate will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of project managers, engineers, and designers to complete both product development and research tasks in a variety of industries and market segments. They will be responsible for championing all electronics and/or electrical work for such projects and must be comfortable with the full product life cycle process.
This is a senior engineer role in which the candidate will be expected to lead and mentor the members of an engineering team. It requires a high degree of experience in component selection, circuit design, schematic capture, and PCB layout. Candidates should be highly proficient in architecting complete electronic systems that often include low-level sensors (IMUs, temperature, humidity), discrete power supplies, battery chargers of varying chemistries, MCUs or application processors, RAM, flash, high speed interfaces (USB, MIPI, LVDS), and RF components/modules. Layouts are often highly complex requiring high density, high layer counts, and flex/rigid constructions. Experience designing hardware for volume manufacturing, DFM, automated test jig design and interfacing is highly desired.
Candidates with additional experience in other disciplines (systems engineering, mechanical engineering, firmware, software or physics) are preferred.
MistyWest develops products in many innovative applications, bringing many opportunities to learn something new. This role will require close integration with the rest of the electrical and firmware teams, so good communication is a must!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree
- At least five years of previous work experience in hardware design
- Previous experience leading teams
- A depth of experience in design and troubleshooting analog and mixed signal electronics
- Highly proficient in PCB Layout and schematic capture software (e.g. Altium)
- Highly experienced in multi-layer board design (6+ layers)
- Experience in designing the architecture of embedded systems and leading component selection
- Experience with electrical system certification processes and requirements. Examples: CE, CSA, UL, FCC, IEC, ISO, Creepage and clearance requirements, Designing for and testing of EMC and ESD, Protection component selection and layout (fuses, TVSs), Intrinsic safety experience highly desirable
- Knowledge of digital systems design, debugging, and prototype assembly
- Strong soldering and hardware debugging skills
- Well versed with connectors, harnessing, and cable creation
In order of preference:
- Several years of experience with Altium for schematic capture and layout
- Knowledge of design for manufacturing, SMT lines including automated testing for production at volume (10K+ units)
- Well versed in many types of sensors and technologies as well as the circuitry used driving, reading, and controlling them
- Large breadth of knowledge in many different types of MCUs and processor families (STM, Nordic, NXP, Qualcomm, TI, Renesas, etc)
- Strong layout experience in buried/blind vias, BGA break-out, high density component routing, flex/rigid PCB construction, high speed matched length/impedance routing
- Discrete and complex power supply design experience: Battery chargers, LED/Motor drivers, AC/DC and/or high voltage and/or high current converters
- Some comfort level with firmware for microcontrollers (Free RTOS)
- RF and antenna design
- Familiar with Solidworks or Fusion 360
- Version control (SVN, Git)
- DSPs, FPGAs, VHDL, Verilog
- Multidisciplinary engineering experience is an asset for this position
- Ability to function independently with little supervision as well as working effectively in a team environment
- Valid passport and the ability to travel internationally on occasion
- Experience working in a client facing role or at an engineering consultancy
In addition to the base salary, MistyWest offers a dynamic salary top-up based on profit sharing, equity, banked time and other benefits. The total compensation may be up to $118K with profit sharing and 43 hours/week on average (this is an estimate based on internal and external benchmark data -actual total compensation may differ).
Base salary range for this role: $80,000-$95,000 based on a 37.5 hour week
Compensation for this role will be commensurate with experience and the degree to which the candidate fulfills the various requirements of the role.
Benefits & Perks of the Job
Benefits include the following (we’re always adding more):
- Banked time: MistyWest compensates our salaried staff for all overtime hours worked
- Paid vacation and sick days
- Generous parental and compassionate care leave
- Comprehensive medical and dental plan from Sun Life with 100% paramedical coverage
- $1000 discretionary Professional Development budget per annum
- 3 paid days off for Professional Development
- Flexible work schedule & opportunity to telecommute
- Access to full laboratory and workshop for personal projects
- Well stocked corporate library & access to complimentary online learning subscriptions (Skillshare, etc)
- Makerlabs corporate membership
- Attractive, bright, open-plan, dog-friendly office in Mount Pleasant.
- Office snacks!
- Opportunities to travel to professional conferences like CES, SXSW, Siggraph, and more
- Complimentary staff events like ski trips, parties, shared meals, and community events
We are Westies. United as Impact Architects, diverse by expertise. We are engineers, mathematicians, roboticists, physicists, scientists, designers, researchers, and misfits who crave complex problems to radically pivot today, and realize a positive tomorrow, through impactful technology.
We target projects that have the potential for high-impact, whether it’s improving the human condition, impacting sustainability in a positive way, or otherwise moving us collectively to an inclusively abundant future. Our clients leverage our multidisciplinary team (industrial, mechanical, electrical, software design + engineering) to accelerate productization from ideation through advanced prototyping to alpha release.
We are inspired to transform what our world can be. With hard science, serendipitous discovery, and breakthrough technology. The journey is complex and failure-filled. The potential is unlimited and incredibly bright.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, descriptions of past work as a PDF or personal website, and a suitable picture of a baby animal in a hat via the link below. Applicants without this will not be considered.
MistyWest is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are actively working to reduce and eliminate barriers to entry for traditionally marginalized groups and individuals.
Have a question about our hiring or recruitment practices? Ask us!