Intermediate Firmware Developer
Projects/TechnicalFull TimeVancouver, BC
Intermediate Firmware Engineer
Job Code: FE
Mount Pleasant, Vancouver
MistyWest is a multidisciplinary engineering consultancy specializing in prototyping and early-stage product development.
The candidate will be required to work closely with the rest of the team to complete product development and research tasks, jumping in with embedded Linux as well as FreeRTOS projects currently underway.
Key skills include memory management systems, power management systems, ADCs, DACs, communication protocols, and low-level driver development. Previous work on M class ARM chipsets such as STM, Nordic, NXP/Freescale, Energy Micro, etc. as well as working with embedded Linux or Android on higher-end ARM chipsets is of key importance for this role.
You should be comfortable with performing low-level board debugging with oscilloscopes, DMMs, function generators, etc.
MistyWest develops products in many innovative applications, bringing many opportunities to learn something new. This role will require close integration with the rest of the electrical and firmware teams, so good communication is a must!
Intermediate Firmware Engineer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering/Science, Electrical or Systems Engineering, or equivalent degree
- At least four years of relevant work experience
- Experience with embedded Linux. Examples: custom driver development, bootloaders, custom kernels (bitbake/Jetpack), QT (qml / c++).
- Extensive experience in embedded programming languages such as embedded C/C++
- Knowledge of wired communication protocols (SPI, I2C, UART, etc.)
- Knowledge of standard embedded systems debugging tools (oscilloscopes, DMMs, logic analyzers, port sniffers, terminal programs, etc.)
- Experience with rapid prototyping platforms (e.g. Arduino, Raspberry Pi, TI Launchpad)
- Extensive experience with firmware for embedded devices (ARM microcontrollers, RTOS)
- Experience with embedded Linux and toolchain setup for embedded development
- Strong software architecture/engineering background (State charts/machines, unit testing, regression testing, formal test plans)
- Strong knowledge of digital system design and debugging
- Confident with datasheets, part selection, and qualification
- Expert in revision control and release methodologies (git, branching, pull requests)
- Ability to work independently with little supervision in addition to working effectively in a team environment
Experience with the following tools, frameworks, languages and technologies
- FPGA design / RTL firmware
- Python, Matlab
- Tensorflow, TF Lite,
- Azure or AWS IOT
Experience with the following solutions
- Nordic Bluetooth, specifically nRF52
- Amtel MCUs
- Qualcomm, NXP, MediaTek
In addition to the above, we would love if you have
- Firm grasp of firmware design principles (RTOS, ADCs, DACs, sampling and data processing, current consumption, and overall device performance metrics)
- Knowledge of wireless communication protocols (TCP/IP, WiFi, Bluetooth/BLE, Zigbee, etc.)
- Multidisciplinary engineering experience
- Design for manufacturing knowledge, including automated testing
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally on occasion
- Experience working in a client-facing role or at an engineering consultancy
Compensation for this role will be commensurate with experience and the degree to which the candidate fulfills the various requirements of the role. All candidates meeting the minimum requirements for the role will be evaluated for the stream to which they best fit.
Base salary range for this role: $68,000 - $87,000
In addition to the base salary, MistyWest offers a dynamic salary based on profit sharing, equity, banked time and benefits.
Benefits include the following (we’re always adding more):
- Banked time: MistyWest compensates our salaried staff for all hours worked beyond the contracted hours
- Paid vacation and sick days
- Generous parental and compassionate care leave
- Comprehensive medical and dental plan from Sun Life with 100% paramedical coverage
- $1000 discretionary Professional Development budget per annum
- 3 paid days off for Professional Development
- Flexible work schedule & opportunity to telecommute
- Access to full laboratory and workshop for personal projects
- Well stocked corporate library & access to complimentary online learning subscriptions (Skillshare, etc)
- Makerlabs corporate membership
- Attractive, bright, open-plan, dog-friendly office in Mount Pleasant.
- Office snacks!
- Opportunities to travel to professional conferences like CES, SXSW, Siggraph, and more
- Complimentary staff events like ski trips, parties, shared meals, and community events
We are Westies. United as Impact Architects, diverse by expertise. We are engineers, mathematicians, roboticists, physicists, scientists, designers, researchers, and misfits who crave complex problems to radically pivot today, and realize a positive tomorrow, through impactful technology.
We target projects that have the potential for high-impact, whether it’s improving the human condition, impacting sustainability in a positive way, or otherwise moving us collectively to an inclusively abundant future. Our clients leverage our multidisciplinary team (industrial, mechanical, electrical, software design + engineering) to accelerate productization from ideation through advanced prototyping to alpha release.
We are inspired to transform what our world can be. With hard science, serendipitous discovery, and breakthrough technology. The journey is complex and failure-filled. The potential is unlimited and incredibly bright.
How to Apply
Please apply through the application link below.
Please attach your cover letter and resume as one combined PDF file, and don't forget to send us your best baby animal wearing a hat! Applicants without this will not be considered.
MistyWest is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are actively working to reduce and eliminate barriers to entry for traditionally marginalized groups and individuals.
Have a question about our hiring or recruitment practices? Ask us! firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about us!