Events and Catering Specialist
ClubhouseFull TimeMississauga, ON
Position Available: Events and Catering Specialist
The Mississaugua Golf and Country Club (MGCC) is one of Canada’s top private all-season golf clubs, with a diverse membership of 1,400 members and an outstanding Tier One golf course famous for its excellence. The Club has played host to numerous premier events, including six Canadian Opens.
Founded in 1906, MGCC is a year-round private club that offers golf, curling, tennis and fitness, dining and social amenities. Our Tudor Clubhouse is a spectacular venue for casual and fine dining, banquets, weddings and various social events and functions.
MGCC is seeking an experienced, creative and self-motivated Events and Catering Specialist who has a passion for creating extraordinary and memorable experiences. Reporting directly to the Clubhouse Manager, the Events and Catering Manager is responsible for planning, marketing and executing events hosted by the Club. As the key liaison between members/guests and the Club’s various departments, this position coordinates all event bookings and monitors related budgeted revenues and expenses.
· Responsible for planning and executing Member-Focused Club Events that create a ‘wow’ factor experience including annual Club Events such as; Wine Dinners, Easter, Mother’s Day, Golf Tournaments, Family Bingo, Kid’s Halloween Party, Thanksgiving, Kid’s Fest, etc.
· Ensure internal communication of events is designed to encourage attendance and is communicated well in advance of events
· Responsible for achieving event revenue targets and maximizing event space/function room capacities
· Accountable for booking and increasing event business through the development of new business, retention of previous business and active follow up of existing inquiries and leads
· Quote and negotiate pricing within established parameters and process event contracts
· Maximize event success by assisting event organizers with menu selection, room arrangements and recommending other services based on anticipating needs, and recognizing opportunities to up-sell
· Collaborate with the Culinary team and the FOH Services team in order to ensure all aspects of the event and any changes are communicated effectively
· Create event budgets, manage against the budget and report event profit/loss figures
· Design creative communications, including; event marketing kits/packages, posters, signage, menus, invitations etc.
· Ensure that appropriate space is blocked to maximize sales potential, accommodate guest's requirements and minimize labour costs
· Source and maintain strong relationships with reliable and cost-effective suppliers i.e. music and entertainment, flowers, linens & decorations etc.
· Communicate and organize any special arrangements upon client's request
· Promote and sell club food and beverage services by responding to member and non-member inquiries
· Respond to seasonal fluctuation in business with appropriate volume of sales activity including networking, communications to target markets and lead lists
· Monitor event satisfaction levels and create an action plan for improvement when necessary
· Minimum of 3 years of experience as an Events and Catering Manager or comparable role
· Events Management Certificate considered a definite asset
· Experience in the Private Club culture is an asset
· Wedding Planner Certification is an asset
· Knowledge and passion for providing exceptional experiences through events
· Superior organizational skills to manage tight timelines and conflicting priorities
· Strong negotiation skills to ensure client needs/expectations are met and exceeded while maximizing revenues and spotting up-sell opportunities
· Ability to work independently and maintain a positive attitude within a busy environment
· Strong commitment to professional and responsive service with the ability to deal effectively and professionally with a challenging clientele
· Strong verbal and written communication skills ensuring information is effectively distributed before during and after events
· Ability to build and maintain strong business relationships with internal & external stakeholders
· Strong working knowledge of hospitality industry practices, methods and techniques
· Strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills with the ability to analyze and interpret the needs of clients and offer the appropriate options, solutions, and resolutions required
· Advanced computer proficiency – Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point), Email (Microsoft Outlook), Membership Database software (experience with Jonas considered an asset)
· Flexibility required to work evenings, weekends and public holidays/ event days when necessary
Compensation: $63,000- $70,000 annually
Perks and Benefits
· Team oriented environment
· Competitive compensation
· Comprehensive group benefits program
· Company matched pension plan
· Professional development funds
· Paid vacation and sick days
· Clothing and cell phone allowance
· Flexible work schedule
· Daily staff meals as taxable benefit
MGCC is an equal opportunity employer and we would like to thank all applicants for their interest. All responses will be held in strict confidence. Please note that we will only be contacting the candidates under consideration.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code Mississaugua Golf and Country Club will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.