FinanceFull TimeToronto, ON
We are Koru.
Koru is a venture studio building a portfolio of new startups that drive breakout growth. We build from 0-1, generating, validating, and scaling ventures that address customer frictions head-on — and leverage our corporate partnerships to gain an unfair advantage in the market.
Join us if you:
- Are keen on learning and fast-tracking your career progression with proven performance.
- Love autonomy and want to make key decisions in the early days of new ventures.
- Want to diversify your experience and knowledge across industries and geographies.
- Are looking to make an impact and create the culture in our small but growing Koru team.
We’re a first-of-its-kind innovation platform with a well-funded runway from the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, a $250B+ Canadian investor with over 90 portfolio companies around the world — giving us access to innovate across dozens of different industries globally.
We aim to create game-changing ventures while promoting a truly entrepreneurial mindset and creating a culture of fearless reinvention.
As Finance Manager you will:
- Act as a valued strategic and operational partner for ventures - including providing financial oversight and support.
- Support with the financial management of Koru’s portfolio, including monitoring venture performance, capital calls, and valuations.
- Provide support on budgeting, modeling, and preparing board meeting materials.
- Be responsible for the financial operations at Koru, including managing the activities of an outsourced accounting team.
- Manage the annual financial statement audit process with our external auditors.
You should have:
- Your CPA, CA (either currently certified or completed all exams and on track to achieve certification in the near future).
- A strong foundation (3+ years) in finance, e.g. accounting , financial services, and related disciplines.
- Comfort in navigating ambiguity, demonstrating ownership, and learning-by-doing.
- High quality standards for output and a strong attention to detail.
- Strong MS Excel skills, including the ability to create and update financial models and automation.
- Strong MS Powerpoint skills, to translate financial information into effective visual storytelling.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- The ability to work in a dynamic and complex environment, while adapting to and managing changing priorities.
It’d be nice if you have:
- The ability to lead meetings with cross-functional teams, including tax advisors and accounting support
- Working knowledge of various SaaS platforms for accounting, payroll, expenses, etc.
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
What happens next?
Once we review your application, if we’d like to move you forward in the process, here’s what you can expect:
Step 1: Interview #1: Introductory Call w/Hiring Lead (30 minutes)
Step 2: Practical Challenge + Presentation (45 minutes + prep time)
Step 3: Interview #2 w/Partners + Hiring Lead (45 minutes)
Step 4: Candidate Debrief
Step 5: Offer
Our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Diversity of perspectives and experience is at the core of how we approach disruption and innovation. We believe in fostering an environment where team members of all backgrounds can feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work every day. We aim to ensure all of our employees work in an environment that makes them feel valued, heard and supported while they strive towards career pursuits and their personal and professional growth.
We are committed to providing accommodations for all candidates that require them and in all aspects of the recruitment, selection, and/or assessment process. If you are selected to participate in any part of the selection and/or assessment process, please inform us of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
Koru’s offices are located in downtown Toronto. We humbly acknowledge that Koru HQ is located on land that is the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the New Credit, Chippewa (Anishinaabeg), Haudenosaunee, and Wendat. This territory is covered by the ‘Toronto Purchase: Treaty 13’ which was the surrender of the lands from the Mississaugas of the Credit to the British Crown initially in 1787.
Koru staff and/or board members are made up of settlers, immigrants, descendants of immigrants, or a combination thereof. Our roots lie in continents across the world and we are grateful for the opportunity to share this land where we work and live.
Please note that this role is hybrid and requires the selected candidate to travel to Koru HQ in Toronto, Ontario as and when required by the company. Additionally, all individuals considered for this role are required to be legally eligible to work in Canada.
We’re flattered that you’d like to join our team, but only applicants selected to proceed in the hiring process will be contacted.