Web Development Instructor (Part-Time)
About The Role:
Journey is looking for an experienced, energetic, full-stack web developer with an interest in teaching. As Web Development Instructor, you will be responsible for leading lectures on various web development topics, assigning course work, grading, and mentoring students on a 1-1 basis. You will work closely with other instructors and members of our education team, and follow along with our pre-built curriculum and teacher guide. You will work as an instructor for our Concordia Bootcamps program (a partnership between us and Concordia University) and have a direct impact on changing peoples lives through education. This is a part-time contractual position which will last 32 weeks and consists of approximately 16 hours of work per week.
Our Part-Time Bootcamps run for 30 weeks, for two weekday evenings from 6:30pm to 10pm and one weekend day from 10am to 5pm (see below for full schedule expectations).
Next Start Date: Sept 18th, 2022
Interviews: August, 2022
You can review the program and upcoming course dates here: https://concordiabootcamps.ca/courses/full-stack-immersive/
Salary & Benefits:
- Amount of $15,000 - $20,000 CAD, depending on your experience, for the entire duration of the contract (paid in monthly installments)
- Fully remote work
- Work with an amazing and fun team
- Possibility to extend your contract and teach more courses
- Teach a class of beginners (in collaboration with 1-2 other instructors and the Lead Instructor) with the goal of ensuring they graduate ready for junior level roles in Web Development
- Act as coach/mentor to students as they work their way through the course
- Care profoundly about every student's success
- Communicate regularly with the Administration Team and Lead Instructor to provide ongoing updates on the students' process and feedback
- Follow each student independently and ensure that they develop a mastery of the subject matter
- Experience teaching (as a TA), coaching, managing or supporting junior staff or managing projects
- Experience in the field of Web Development, have graduated from a Web Development Bootcamp and/or have an educational background in Web Development
- Outgoing, personable, friendly and empathetic
- Comfortable explaining difficult concepts because of your ability to dissect and disseminate them into bite-sized, understandable ideas
- Well-versed in both front-end and back-end development
- Strong active listening skills and ability to motivate
- Ability to help all students equally - both those that are excelling and those who are falling behind, with patience, kindness and empathy
- Lifelong learner who loves sharing their learnings and experiences with others
- Loves the idea of helping people lead better lives through education
Part-Time instructors can expect to work approximately 16 hrs per week for the duration of the bootcamp. Instructor should also expect approximately 10-15 hours of onboarding the week prior to the start of the bootcamp and 5-10 hours of grading and off-boarding the week after the end of the bootcamp amounting to a total of approximately 500 hours for the 32-week contract.
About Journey Education
Journey provides digital skills training with courses, workshops, and events all offered online. Our product lineup currently includes courses in Web Development and Data Science, with new products on the way. Founded in 2014 and headquartered in Montreal, Canada, Journey works with highly experienced instructors to develop cutting-edge, real-world training and meaningful educational products that help people unlock their potential.
At Journey, we are building an environment where our employees feel included and heard. Diversity and inclusion are important to us and we strongly encourage applications from minorities, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.