Manager, Crypto Finance
Finance & Business Full TimeOntario
About Horizon Blockchain Games
At Horizon, we’re building a new dimension where internet economies are fun, accessible, and for the benefit of all participants.
We have two amazing products to make this real:
1. Sequence, our Web3 wallet and platform, provides a seamless user and developer experience for Ethereum, NFTs, Web3, DeFi and Dapps, and
2. Skyweaver, a digital trading card game—powered by Sequence—where players actually own the game items they win and purchase and, for the first time, gamers can easily and securely sell and trade their items
Sequence is poised to drive Web3 adoption on a massive scale by making blockchain easy, fun, and powerful for users and developers. And, Skyweaver has the chance to become a groundbreaking video game with its unprecedented player-owned economy, novel gameplay, and an already fervent community grown during Private Beta.
While the challenge is hard, we find it incredibly fun. And we have the ingredients to make it happen: a well-capitalized company with some of the best investors in the world (Reddit co founder, Coinbase), an amazing team of leaders in the blockchain space, engineers who have built widely popular open source code, a former top McKinsey strategy consultant as our CFO, gaming industry veterans, and founders who have built and sold successful companies. You'll get to work with and learn from them all.
About the role
We are looking for a passionate and experienced finance professional to join our rapidly scaling team. The Manager or Director of Crypto Finance will be responsible for our crypto financial accounting and reporting, and some of our crypto operations. This includes:
> Analyzing and understanding latest the accounting principles applicable for crypto > Designing and documenting processes
> Drafting required policies and procedures
> Supporting the implementation of our crypto sub-ledger accounting software, and other systems.
Once the processes have been implemented, the Manager or Director would manage the accounting and reporting, as well as the finance operations around crypto.
Secondly, the role could include some general finance-related tasks depending on the availability of projects, the needs of the company, and alignment with our CFO. The Manager or Director will be responsible for driving impact and measuring it in their area of responsibilities.
The Manager or Director will work alongside senior management and other members of the finance team to fulfill their responsibilities. They will report to the CFO and work with the entire team (including CFO) to ensure that financial goals are on track, as well as ensure the smooth implementation of planned internal objectives.
The role will involve the Manager or Director applying conventional internal finance principles to a crypto/blockchain environment, dealing with concepts such as treasury and risk management – but this time, in a completely different paradigm with the blockchain.
The Manager or Director of Crypto Finance has the opportunity to make a massive impact in a fast-scaling company and become a leader in one of the most promising emerging sectors in the world, alongside a team of very talented individuals looking to do the same. If you’re looking to make a splash in an exciting industry at a company poised for strong growth, we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll be doing:
- Set-up and manage crypto finance operations
- Responsible for Horizon crypto finance operations for various blockchain-based products
- With the support of an experienced CFO, design crypto finance operation processes, e.g., flow of revenue from blockchain
- Drive implementation of required systems, e.g., crypto finance subledger solution, blockchain scans
- Document crypto finance processes and operations
- Design and implement of appropriate internal controls
- Work with an experienced CFO, an experienced Controller, as well as the COO, and other executive team members who will provide support and guidance on the above if needed
- Managing controlling, reporting, treasury and fiat-crypto operations
- Responsible for the accounting and reporting of crypto accounts according to applicable national and international legal financial reporting standards, incl. month-end, quarterly, and year end closing for digital assets
- Manage crypto revenue flow and digital assets funds / treasury on the Balance Sheet
- Weekly or bi-weekly liquidation of crypto assets to fiat assets, and if required, trading of digital assets required from a cashflow perspective
- Capacity to support general Finance activities
- Opportunity to get visibility and get involved in ongoing finance activities around budgeting, closing, and financial modelling
- Support on special projects
- Support research, analysis, and modelling around special projects, e.g., fundraising (Series A and beyond), or token emission
- Essential experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience
- 3 years of experience in a Finance or Controller position
- University graduate/bachelor in business management/accounting or related fields
- Experience working in crypto-blockchain environments OR strong self-taught knowledge and experience in blockchain/crypto sectors (e.g., investing/trading cryptocurrencies)
- Experience in process design and implementation in SME
- Tax knowledge and reporting experience
- Nice-to-have experience (strong asset):
- CPA & Big 4 accounting/advisory experience
- Experience working in tech, fintech and/or blockchain industries
- Required skills
- Outstanding structured thinking
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- MS Excel/PowerPoint/Word
- Excellent analytical skills
- A highly experienced finance rockstar with a breadth of experience
- A go-getter – you have an ownership mindset and act proactively
- Impact oriented – you have the ability to take a macro perspective and also grasp the details
- An outstanding team player – you have strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Meticulous – you have a keen eye for detail and are quality-oriented
- Eager to learn – you have a growth mindset and are always looking to improve
- Chance to deliver massive impact at a quickly growing company
- Accelerate your career by joining at the early stages
- Be part of defining Web3, the next generation of the Internet, and creating symbiotic economies where both users and creators share in the value generated by networks
- Work with an outstanding team made of wonderful people who have built and sold successful companies, launched amazing products, and have rich experience in infrastructure, architecture, blockchain, games, finance, investing, strategy, consulting, design, marketing, community, and more.
- Competitive salary and equity package
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- We’re conscious about mental health and have modern vacation policies
- We invest in everyone’s personal development, so you never stop learning
- Work on hard, big, meaningful problems that can shift markets and culture
- Learn more about our values and the traits we embody at https://careers.horizon.io/
We are committed to diversity
We are committed to diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, genders, and faiths. While we want to build great products, we also want to build a great team and company. The best way to do that is to attract talented minds from all areas and to have their experience as humans inform their work.