About Horizon Games
At Horizon, we’re building a New Dimension where Internet economies are fun, accessible, and for the benefit of all participants.
We have two amazing products to make this real:
Sequence, our Web3 wallet and platform, provides a seamless user and developer experience for Ethereum, NFTs, Web3, DeFi and Dapps, allowing any web application to integrate with blockchain in two minutes. Sequence makes it easy for users, developers and companies to access and build the next generation of Internet economies and experiences.
And Skyweaver, a digital trading card game—powered by Sequence—where players actually own the game items they win and purchase. For the first time, gamers can easily and securely sell and trade their items.
Skyweaver has the chance to become a groundbreaking TCG with its unprecedented player-owned economy, novel gameplay, and an already fervent community during its Private Beta. And, Sequence is poised to drive Web3 adoption on a massive scale by making blockchain easy, fun and powerful for users and developers.
While the challenge is hard, we find it incredibly fun. And we have the outstanding ingredients to make it happen: a well-capitalized company with some of the best investors in the world (Reddit co-founder, Coinbase), an amazing team of leaders in the blockchain space, engineers who have built widely popular open source, a former top McKinsey strategy consultant, and founders who have built and sold successful companies. You'll get to work with and learn from them all.
If you connect with our mission, want to collaborate with wonderful teammates in a caring culture, and are looking for the chance to deliver massive impact at a fast moving startup committed to redefining the Internet as we know it, we’d love to hear from you! You can learn more at https://horizon.io
About the role
As our first Data Engineer, you will be responsible for evolving our data pipeline to version 2.0.
You’ll work closely with our Head of Operations, alongside a senior backend engineer, to evolve and streamline our current data system. We currently instrument much of our product analytics, but we have many data sources. Our aim is to consolidate all that into a single source of truth, and to scale it 10x over the next 2-3 years.
This includes system logs, financial information, product analytics, and marketing data. Consequently, it will require an understanding of distributed systems, databases, software design principles, and system administration.
The end goal is to flexibly pull data from myriad sources into a single source of truth, and make it accessible and useful to everyone on the team, efficiently.
Our data system is important to everyone in the company, and this is a high impact role. You will have a lot of autonomy and be supported by genuinely good people. And you’ll really get a chance to design a foundational component of our stack.
What you’ll do
- Ensure all teams are drawing data from a single source of truth
- Build and maintain an ETL system that works with everything from our crash and system logs, to product analytics, performance marketing, and financial data
- Work with our current systems in GCP and AWS Redshift
- Ensure data integrity, so that data from many sources are transformed into a useful format, and is correct
- Automate as much of the data pipeline as possible
- Quickly debug data discrepancies
- Scale our data capacity by 10x for the next 2-3 years
- Implement tooling in Go and Typescript so all engineers can meter the features with client libraries
- Design data backup and recovery protocols
- Ensure the data can be easily digestible, and usable, using a BI tool like Looker or Tableau within an acceptable period of time (realtime, daily, monthly, yearly)
What we look for
Skills & experience
- Low ego, pleasant to work with. Our company is built on collaboration
- Excellent SQL skills
- Experience with distributed log systems like Kafka, Spark, etc. a plus
- Expertise working with large software systems in one of the major cloud providers: AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- 2-4 years relevant industry experience
- Strong understanding of building fault-tolerant, scalable systems
- Experience with at least one scripting language (Python, bash, Ruby, etc.)
- Big plus if you have experience working with Go, Typescript, or similar derivatives
- Growth mindset, with an appetite to learn
- Chance to deliver massive impact at a small and quickly growing company
- Accelerate your career by joining at the early stages
- Be part of defining Web3, the next generation of the Internet, and creating symbiotic economies where both users and creators share in the value generated by networks
- Work with an outstanding team made of wonderful people who have built and sold successful companies, launched amazing products, and have rich experience in infrastructure, architecture, blockchain, games, finance, investing, strategy, consulting, design, marketing, community, and more.
- Work life balance unlike the “crunch” culture you find at larger studios
- New PC, and generous allowance for work-from-home setup
- Competitive salary and equity package
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- We’re conscious about mental health and have modern vacation policies
- We invest in everyone’s personal development and subsidize courses, books, and conferences, so you never stop learning
- Work on hard, big, meaningful problems that can shift markets
- Learn more about our values and the traits we embody at https://careers.horizon.io/
We are committed to diversity
We are committed to diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, genders and faiths. While we want to build a great game, we also want to build a great team, and company. The best way to do that is to attract talented minds from all areas and to have their experience as humans inform their work.