Relief Case Worker
Casual/Relief Position with DVIRT
A HomeFront relief worker is responsible for contributing to the reduction of domestic violence in Calgary by: providing support to those affected by domestic violence, working collaboratively with internal programs, working partners and referral agencies.
Relief workers may be utilized by: HomeFront’s Domestic Violence Intervention & Resource Team to assist in achieving uninterrupted service while caseworkers are unavailable:
A successful candidate will be able to demonstrate knowledge and awareness of domestic & sexual violence and the justice system; experience with crisis intervention, risk assessment and short term support; have excellent communication skills with the ability to convey compassion and respect to all clients; well-developed knowledge of community resources; an open or flexible schedule to take on relief shifts between Monday – Friday 8am-4pm & 9am-5pm; Have reliable and efficient means of communication to schedule relief shifts; and reliable transportation to reach each respective office as needed.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
· Support DVIRT Case Managers in maintaining client contacts and file management while staff member is away from the office
· Contacting clients in a timely manner for follow up as required
· Assess safety risk with clients
· Provide information on domestic violence, provide court information, give referrals and provide safety planning to clients
· Attend court as directed and document court updates and decision on HomeFront database; Attend Case Conference meetings at court with Crown, Police, Probation and Defense to discuss case, bring victim wishes and risk assessment information forward;
· Liaison with child services ensuring aware of domestic incident and client status, document any recommendations from child services and provide information to court;
· Maintain case file on HomeFront’s electronic database ensuring all contacts and court appearances are accurate and up to date.
· May also be utilized for admin support for new file entry.
· Ensure clear and orderly follow up notes and documentations for staff member’s return to ensure seamless client service
· Maintain consistent and timely communication with supervisors for shift scheduling.
· Interface and work collaboratively with professionals from a range of different disciplines; Calgary Police Service, Child and Family Services, Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse, Crown Prosecutors, Calgary Community Corrections, community agencies, etc.
· Maintaining professional, respectful and supportive work environment with colleagues, students, volunteers and visitors
· Excellent organizational, verbal and communication skills
· Well-developed and non-judgmental listening skills
· A well-developed knowledge of community resources for both domestic violence and sexual assault/abuse
· Demonstrated skills and experience in crisis intervention, risk assessment, safety planning and short term support of individuals affected by domestic violence/abuse and sexual assault/abuse
· Creative problem solving skills
· Ability to work in a team environment; professional and respectful demeanor
· Competency with basic office computer skills; database experience an asset
· Ability to liaise with Community & Criminal Justice Partners (Crown, Police and Probation)
· Ability to work with diverse individuals and communities
· Multi-lingual capability an asset
· Related volunteer or work experience
· Knowledge of domestic violence & sexual assault issues, crisis intervention and community resources
· A degree or diploma within the Human Service or Criminal Justice Field (or working towards) will be considered an asset.
Location: Calgary: Program Offices (Downtown and NE Offices & Courts Centre)
Estimated Start Date: Based upon successful completion of interview, reference checks, mandatory CPS security clearance and child intervention check (4-6 weeks wait time post interview).
Probationary Period: Standard 3 months
Employment is contingent on interview, reference checks, Enhanced CCIS security clearance and Child and Family Service Intervention check; all areas must passed to company standards for employment to be offered; Salary commensurate to education and experience
To apply for this posting, please forward your resume with cover letter explaining what motivated you to apply for this position.
To apply for this position, click the apply button above or below to submit your cover letter and resume to the attention of Stephanie Shield, Team Lead.