Writer, Investment Communications
CommunicationsFull TimeToronto, ON
Ext. helps financial services firms achieve their marketing strategy, communications and regulatory objectives – on time and on budget. Our clients are based in Canada and the U.S. and include tier-one banks and insurers, mutual fund companies, credit unions, hedge funds, private equity and venture capital firms. We are a full-service agency with services ranging from market commentaries to white papers, infographics, branding and websites.
See our capabilities deck for more details:
We are looking for a detail-oriented and highly focused communicator who has a passion for investing and the capital markets and understands the importance of producing timely, quality investment reporting for investor audiences. You’re as versed in CP and AP style as you are the latest direction of the S&P 500. The Writer will report to Ext.’s Vice President, Communications.
You are a strong team player with a proven background in editing and writing for the financial services industry. You have a penchant for writing investment reports and commentaries. You are committed to business results and enjoy a fast-paced environment while working with internal team members and liaising with external resources when required. We offer our team members a collaborative, entrepreneurial work environment, exposure to a wide variety of projects that can help develop practical, in-demand skills, plus the opportunity to make a direct, meaningful impact on the success and growth of our company.
- Writing, editing and/or managing the investment communications deliverables for Ext.’s clients in Canada and the U.S.
- Write and edit portfolio manager commentaries to fulfill our clients’ regulatory and reporting requirements. These include Management Reports of Fund Performance (MRFPs) and a diverse range of quarterly, semi-annual and annual investment reporting
- Editing the work of other financial services writers that are part of Ext.’s growing network
- Help to drive brand leadership for both Ext. and the company’s clients
- Help to develop and maintain house editorial style for Ext. and/or its clients
- Write and/or edit marketing communications deliverables such as key messaging development, brochures, sales tools, presentations, pitchbooks, blog articles, web copy, content marketing pieces, white papers, infographics and ad copy, as needed
Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of financial services writing and editing experience, ideally with exposure to both the U.S. and Canadian markets
- Knowledge and/or experience writing and editing investment reporting materials, such as portfolio manager commentaries and MRFPs, is strongly desired
- Sound knowledge of investment products and concepts, keeping current with trends and developments, as well as important market/economic/geopolitical drivers
- A firm understanding of markets/macroeconomics and the ability to synthesize the key points for different audiences (e.g., advisors, consumers).
- Understanding of institutional, advisor and retail markets and experience writing for different audiences
- Skilled in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). Familiarity with social media platforms, metrics and tools is an asset
- Strong copy editing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of writing processes and techniques, with the ability to identify best practices from other industries and implement them within the realm of financial services
- Strong time management, multi-tasking, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Completion of the CSC and/or CFA or equivalent industry experience would be an asset
- Excellent client service orientation, maintaining a high degree of professionalism and client satisfaction
- Creative agency experience – or, at a minimum, an understanding of the agency model – is an asset
- Ability to work flexible, extended hours during busy periods (e.g., at each quarter-end)
Note: This job description is non-exhaustive and may be amended from time to time by Ext., with or without notice to the Employee.