Writer & Copy Editor
CommunicationsFull TimeToronto, ON
Writer & Copy Editor
Ext. helps financial services firms achieve their marketing strategy, communications and regulatory objectives – on time and on budget. Our clients are based in Canada and the U.S. and include tier-one banks and insurers, mutual fund companies, credit unions, hedge funds, private equity and venture capital firms. We are a full-service agency with services ranging from market commentaries to white papers, infographics, branding and websites.
See our capabilities deck for more details:
We are looking for a polished and highly focused communicator who enjoys working with clients to help them grow their business. The Writer & Copy Editor will report to ext.’s Vice President, Communications.
You are a strong team player with a proven background in editing and writing for the financial services industry. You are committed to business results and enjoy a fast-paced environment while working with internal team members and liaising with external resources when required. We offer our team members a collaborative, entrepreneurial work environment, exposure to a wide variety of projects that can help develop practical, in-demand skills, plus the opportunity to make a direct, meaningful impact on the success and growth of our company.
- Writing, editing and/or managing the deliverables for ext’s clients in Canada and the U.S.
- Write and/or edit marketing communications deliverables such as key messaging development, brochures, sales tools, presentations, pitchbooks, blog articles, web copy, content marketing pieces, white papers, infographics and ad copy
- Write and edit portfolio manager commentaries to fulfill our clients’ regulatory and reporting requirements
- Editing the work of other financial services writers
- Collaborate with the accounts team, digital and graphic designers to effectively integrate copy with design and visuals
- Create materials for a number of clients across the financial services industry, which entails the ability to write for various audiences following different corporate styles and brand guidelines
- Help to drive brand leadership for both ext. and the company’s clients, and participate in (and, as the situation dictates, take the lead on) the creative brainstorming process
- Contribute to the company’s social media strategy and execution
- Develop and maintain house editorial style for ext. and/or its clients
Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of financial services writing and editing experience, ideally with exposure to both the U.S. and Canadian markets
- Ability to review writers’ work and provide detailed, constructive feedback that will tangibly improve the quality of materials and help develop the writers’ competencies
- Knowledge and/or experience writing and editing investment reporting materials, such as portfolio manager commentaries and MRFPs, is strongly desired
- Sound knowledge of investment products and concepts, keeping current with trends and developments, as well as important market/economic/geopolitical drivers
- Solid understanding of the sales processes and relationships within the industry (e.g., among investment managers, dealerships, advisors and end clients)
- A firm understanding of markets/macroeconomics and the ability to synthesize the key points for different audiences (e.g. advisors, consumers).
- Understanding of institutional, advisor and retail markets and experience writing for different audiences
- Skilled in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Familiarity with social media platforms, metrics and tools is an asset
- Strong copy editing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of writing processes and techniques, with the ability to identify best practices from other industries and implement them within the realm of financial services
- Strong time management, multi-tasking, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Completion of the CSC and/or CFA or equivalent industry experience would be an asset
- Excellent client service orientation, maintaining a high degree of professionalism and client satisfaction
- Creative agency experience – or, at a minimum, an understanding of the agency model– is an asset
- Ability to work flexible, extended hours during busy periods (e.g., at each quarter-end)
Note: This job description is non-exhaustive and may be amended from time to time by ext., with or without notice to the Employee.