Web Developer - Internship
Eighty8 is a startup studio that transforms ideas and concepts into awesome products and companies. We’re venture builders, this means we build startups. We help passionate entrepreneurs launch and scale their products, and partner with established companies to become a startup again.
As a Web Developer Intern, we want you to be able to learn and apply your experience everyday while working in a fun and supportive environment where you’ll be tasked with a variety of relevant work, projects and of course, challenges each week.
- MySQL / MariaDB
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of object-oriented programming with PHP
- Ability to apply SOLID/DRY principles and design patterns to build quality, modular, and maintainable software
- Familiarity and strong understanding of relational databases and SQL, experience working with ORMs recommended
- Familiarity and strong understanding of Test Driven Development, experience writing unit tests using mocks/stubs
- Familiarity and strong understanding of MVC (Laravel preferred), three-tiered and client-server architectures highly recommended
- Familiarity with version control (Git preferred) and the ability to manage source code for multiple projects in accordance with best practices and industry standards
- Experience with working with AJAX, JSON and building REST APIs to serve data to front-end applications
- Understanding of the importance of application performance and ability to identify bottlenecks in software
- Understanding how to leverage open-source technologies to build new solutions for unique problems
- Experience with Docker container technology to configure development environments and bundle software for production deployments
- Experience writing and debugging shell scripts (Bash preferred)
- Experience working in a Unix-based development environment (Ubuntu and Alpine Linux preferred)
- Working experience with Jetbrains PHPStorm IDE
- Knowledge of any additional languages, such as Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc. is a bonus
- Have a strong passion for technology, innovation and solving new and challenging problems.
- Be flexible and willing to work in a fast-paced environment using new technologies.
- Love to hack on personal projects and contribute to open source projects.
- Possess a strong interest in continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate ability and desire to obtain and transfer knowledge to other team members.
- Demonstrate a strong ability to efficiently recognize and assess both problems and opportunities. Showcase initiative to strategically implement complex solutions and processes.
- Work effectively on multiple projects while maintaining an organized and detail-oriented work ethic.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Convey ideas and information in a concise and clear manner to other team members.
- Demonstrate ability to work with others towards a common goal in ways which foster development and encourage the contribution of team members. Work to resolve potential conflicts, plan accordingly, and make decisions collectively.
- Keep up to date with and utilize industry best practices.
- Have fun while working hard!
We Value Diversity
Eighty8 invites applications from all qualified individuals. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants from all diverse backgrounds and identities. We encourage those who identify as persons with disabilities, persons of visible minority, and/or persons of any gender identity or gender expression to apply.