Intermediate Web Developer
DevelopmentFull TimeLondon, ON
Eighty8 is seeking a strong and enthusiastic Web Developer to join our team at our London office. As a venture studio, we build our own products, invest in startup companies, grow existing businesses and provide support as their technology partners.
If you love the idea of engineering solutions for problems in various industries/markets, working with exciting new technologies and building the businesses of tomorrow, this is the perfect position for you!
What will you be doing?
- Contribute to various aspects of building a product - from engineering solutions, to designing project architecture / databases, to creating user interfaces, to deploying and scaling applications on cloud infrastructure.
- Participate in agile product development to rapidly iterate and create applications.
- Work closely with designers, developers and stakeholders to create new products and compelling user experiences.
- Build out REST APIs and database applications to serve data to web applications and native mobile applications.
- Write reusable and well-documented code to create modules/packages to expedite future application development.
- Write automated test suites and participate in code reviews to help ensure high quality and maintainability.
What technologies will you be working with?
- PHP (Laravel / Lumen, PHP7+)
- HTML / CSS / SASS
- SQL (MariaDB / MySQL / PostgreSQL)
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Shell scripting (Bash)
- ...whatever tool/language that provides the best solution for the problem at hand!
What do you need to succeed?
- Have a strong passion for technology, innovation and solving new and challenging problems.
- Be flexible and willing to work in a fast-paced environment using new technologies.
- Possess a strong interest in continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate ability and desire to obtain and transfer knowledge to other team members.
- Demonstrate a strong ability to efficiently recognize and assess both problems and opportunities. Showcase initiative to strategically implement complex solutions and processes.
- Work effectively on multiple projects while maintaining an organized and detail-oriented work ethic.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Convey ideas and information in a concise and clear manner to other team members.
- Demonstrate ability to work with others towards a common goal in ways which foster development and encourage the contribution of team members. Work to resolve potential conflicts, plan accordingly, and make decisions collectively.
- Keep up-to-date with the industry and utilize best practices.
- The ability to have fun while working hard!
Desired Skills & Experience
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of object-oriented programming.
- Ability to apply software engineering principles and design patterns to build quality, modular, and maintainable software.
- Familiarity and a strong understanding of SQL, relational databases, database ORM technologies
- Familiarity and a strong understanding of Test Driven Development, experience writing unit tests using mocks/stubs.
- Familiarity and a strong understanding of MVC, three-tiered and client-server architectures.
- Familiarity with version control and the ability to manage source code for multiple projects in accordance with best practices and industry standards.
- Experience in building and working with JSON APIs to serve data to various front-facing applications (native or web).
- Understanding of the importance of application performance and the ability to identify bottlenecks in software.
- Understanding how to leverage open-source technologies to build new solutions for unique problems.
- Experience with Docker container technology to configure development environments and bundle software for production deployments.
- Experience working in a Linux-based development environment.
- Knowledge of any additional languages, such as Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc. is a bonus.