AutomationFull TimeThunder Bay, ON
Digital Engineering is an-established process management technologies firm located in beautiful Thunder Bay, Ontario. We've been in operation since 1976 and specialize in helping our customers increase efficiencies and reduce costs by developing custom hardware and software solutions that securely share information between process control and business systems. Our team includes engineers, technologists, technicians, programmers, and analysts. We proudly serve customers in the energy, grain, water/wastewater, forestry, and mining sectors throughout Ontario, Canada, and the US.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package that includes health & dental benefits, life & disability insurance and a self-directed, defined contribution pension plan. Additional incentives include funding for professional skills development, support for personal wellness, options for flexible hours/hybrid work and supplemental compensation during pregnancy and parental leaves.
Why Join Digital Engineering
- Be given opportunities to work on a broad range of projects
- Collaborate with diverse teams in a variety of industries
- Work in an exciting environment where you can develop your skills and knowledge
- Gain relevant experience and support in pursuit of professional designations
- Benefit from formal and informal mentorship from a supportive and welcoming team
We are looking for individuals driven to excel and make a real impact at Digital Engineering.
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for coordinating and performing electrical engineering and design of specialized automation projects for clients in a variety of industrial sectors.
- Develops the design, calculations, engineering plans and criteria for the Electrical/Instrumentation scope of work on automation projects
- Assesses the feasibility of proposed plans, projects and equipment from an electrical perspective
- Participates in the planning and creation of drawings and designs involving detailed analysis and design of electrical systems
- Determines electrical specifications, materials, equipment and scope.
- Specifying PLC/HMI hardware, Remote I/O, and communication components
- Evaluates and reviews all electrical engineering work before being released including designs, drawings, code and integration with other disciplines
- Ensures design compliance with relevant engineering standards and codes
- Performs power system modelling and prepares power system studies and other reports, as required
- Maintains electrical data, documentation, and drawings
- Prepares equipment specifications and sizing
- Conducts various calculations such as voltage drop, cable tray fill, etc.
- Creates and maintains drawings using AutoCAD
- Ensures system or product drawings are created to the standards of Digital Engineering, Inc. and our clients
- Adhere to change management systems and follow processes and procedures for the design, assembly and testing of control panels to meet standards as identified by Digital Engineering, Inc.
- Provide progress reports and project updates to managers/supervisors and customers
- Prepare and maintain technical documentation, training documentation, reports, and other written communications
- Maintain and securely-manage confidential data for internal and external customers
- Such other duties as may be assigned from time to time
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering
- A minimum of 4+ years of industrial electrical engineering experience
Certifications and Licenses
- Professional Engineer designation (P.Eng)
- Valid Ontario Driver License is required at time of hiring and at all times while employed
- A current criminal background check (Level 1 CPIC)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passion for delivering outstanding solutions
- Ability, experience and willingness to follow problems through from start to finish with strong desire to understand the problem and provide detailed technical solutions
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in an environment with rapidly changing technical and business requirements while maintaining enthusiasm and sound judgement
- Ability, experience and willingness to work without constant direct supervision
- Strong ability to communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing; with the ability to present ideas in a business friendly and user friendly language
- Collaborative, team player with interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, for the creation and maintenance of system drawings
- Experience with Navisworks and ETAP is an asset
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel for documentation and reporting
- Experience in planning, engineering design, installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical, instrumentation, and PLC controls systems
- Knowledge of Canadian Electrical Codes, electrical engineering principles and practices, industry and regulatory codes and standards (OESC, NEC, CSA, CSA SICP, IEEE, NFPA)
- Familiar with OHSA and general safety best practices
- Familiar with project management and document control processes
Our ideal candidate is someone who enjoys a challenge, has strong problem-solving skills, works well independently and collaboratively in a team, and is motivated to find the best customer solutions.
Work Environment & Physical Requirements
- Work environments include indoor and outdoors and range from office to industrial environments
- May require working outside regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday), including nights, weekends and holidays
- Work may require exposure to hazardous conditions (i.e. high noise, Arc Flash areas), appropriate training and personal protective equipment will be provided
- Work requires physical strength and agility to safely perform all essential job functions (applicant should be able to lift 25kgs from the floor to waist height)
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee maybe required to sit or stand for prolonged periods throughout the workday.