OPEN APPLICATION: Staff Writer
EditorialFull TimeCalgary, AB
Daily Hive is not currently hiring for Staff Writers at this time, however, we welcome you to submit a general application for future Staff Writer positions that open.
Role: Staff Writer
Manager: Managing Editor
Who you are
You are a self-starter who strongly believes in our mission of fostering a relationship between people and their city and are passionate and excited to do that through the power of journalism. You'll be responsible for creating content that is compelling, concise, and relevant to our audience. Reporting to the Managing Editor you will work with our Editorial Department and be a key player in the day-to-day content production for our network.
What you'll do
- Investigate and report news stories, including timely breaking news events.
- Ensure articles written follow company guidelines and style and are ready for publication.
- Conduct necessary research required to produce content, which may include but is not limited to, conducting interviews and attending events.
- Increase credibility of the company through quality, trustworthy, and ethical work.
- Capture quality photos and video for accompanying articles and social media posts as needed.
- Attend editorial team meetings and pitch story ideas.
- Flex your creative muscles to craft unique content.
- Keep up-to-date with news and events happening around Calgary.
- Monitor engagement of articles and accept feedback from the editorial team in order to make necessary improvements or adjustments to work.
- Travel on assignment as needed.
- Work weekends and evenings as necessary.
- Other tasks, as required by your manager.
What you have
- Minimum two years experience writing for a publication
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS
- Excellent understanding of social media and its importance to journalism
- Skilled with graphic design, photography, and photo editing is an asset
Benefits of working with us
- Hybrid work environment with the ability to work remotely.
- Flexible work schedule and paid time off.
- 12 mandatory paid days off per year (Flex Days) to allow you to prioritize your health.
- Full benefits package (medical, vision, dental and extended health) starting after three months.
- Ability to be part of a fast growing company with a fun team and work culture and opportunities for growth.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
**Please submit resumes as a PDF**
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, inclusion and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.