Staff Writer, Offside
EditorialFull TimeCalgary, AB
Position: Staff Writer, Offside
Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday
Daily Hive has an opportunity for a creative and ambitious individual to join our Content Department in Calgary full-time as a Sports Writer. Reporting to our Sports Editor, you will work with our Content Department and be a key player in the day-to-day running of our network.
The Sports Writer is responsible for creating content that is compelling, concise, and relevant to our audience. An ideal candidate should have extensive knowledge of the Calgary Flames, as well as other teams and sports relevant to our Canadian audience, in addition to superb writing and creative skills.
What we are looking for
- 1-2+ years of experience writing for an online publication.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional sports knowledge is a must.
- Strong understanding of social media and its importance to journalism.
- Experience using WordPress.
What you'll get to do
- Write multiple sports articles per day, which can be local or national in scope, and often timely in nature.
- Increase the credibility of the company through quality, trustworthy, and ethical work.
- Find creative and engaging story angles geared to Daily Hive’s audience.
- Conduct necessary research required to produce content, which may include but is not limited to online research, making phone calls, and attending events.
- Keep up to date with sports news and events happening in Calgary and Edmonton, as well as staying up to date with the conversation on social media.
- Ensure articles written follow company guidelines and are ready for senior editorial staff to publish.
- Monitor engagement of articles and accept feedback from the editorial team in order to make necessary improvements or adjustments to work.
- Build and maintain relationships with industry professionals.
- Work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Travel on occasion, as need.
- Be a team player and have fun while working!
Benefits of working with us
- Medical/dental/vision benefits starting after three months.
- Flexible work environment and vacation time.
- Strong potential for long-term career growth and development with a fast-growing company.
- Be part of a relaxed (but hard-working) team that feels more like family than co-workers.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted. * PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME AS A PDF FILE*
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, inclusivity and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.