Toronto City Editor
EditorialFull TimeToronto, ON
Role: City Editor
Manager: Managing Editor
Location: Toronto, currently working remotely
Who you are
You are a leader who is passionate about your community and creating stories that matter. You’re capable of handling multiple projects, and multiple staff members, at once while maintaining a positive attitude. You know that breaking news can happen at any time and you are more than ready to jump on it and ensure that you and your team can fulfill the task at hand. You’re a forward-thinker who enjoys working with stakeholders at all levels and are not afraid of challenges. Above all, you are passionate and knowledgeable about Toronto and the GTA and are ready to further foster the relationship between its people and their city.
What you’ll do
- Manage a team of full-time writers and editors along with the daily assignment desk.
- Write shareable articles in a concise, compelling, and structured format.
- Contribute to the conversation about culture in Toronto and the GTA.
- Publish articles ranging from simple photo posts to news stories. Template, process, and acquisition of content support will be provided.
- Maintain a long-term editorial calendar that details articles, columns, editorials, photography and art needs.
- Maintain and build a roster of quality freelancers with strategic networks.
- Work with the social media team for the purpose of driving traffic to the website and creating conversation and growing accounts.
- Liaise with internal departments on the development of series and features.
- Oversee editorial and media video production in Toronto.
- Work with a driven and highly motivated team to support overall editorial operations.
- Hold regular meetings with the local team, and participate in senior editorial meetings.
- Work with the Managing Editor and EIC to develop content aligned with short-term and long-term goals.
- Manage content for community sponsorships and media partnerships.
- Execute longer-form series and projects.
- Coordinate editorial internship program with local colleges and universities.
- Attend events on behalf of Daily Hive as required.
- Travel as required.
What you have
- Minimum five years experience working for a media organization, two years in a leadership role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of WordPress or other CMS
- Excellent understanding of social media and SEO and their importance to publishing
- Skilled with graphic design, photography, and photo editing is an asset
- Ability to efficiently and effectively proofread and edit content.
- Proven experience as an effective team leader as well as the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated digital media knowledge and expertise, including understanding of native content, content marketing, and social media best practices and tactics.
- Proven track record in taking initiative, high productivity, and meeting deadlines.
- A high level of accuracy, organization, and creativity while maintaining attention to detail.
The benefits of working with us
- Opportunity: The opportunity to grow with a fast-growing company
- Opportunity to enrol in the Company’s group benefits program following a three month probationary period
- Collaborative environment and the opportunity to be part of a hard-working team that feels more like family than co-workers
Are you ready to dive in and become part of a fast-paced, growing media company? APPLY HERE. We thank all candidates for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted.
*PLEASE SUBMIT RESUMES AS PDF FILES*
Daily Hive is an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking, and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside passionate and intelligent individuals, and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.