Senior Associate/Manager, Africa
Convergence NairobiFull TimeNairobi, Kenya
LOCATION: NAIROBI, KENYA
Convergence is headquartered in Toronto; however, we operate globally and have a presence in Singapore, La Paz, Kigali, and Washington DC. Over the last seven years, we have built a robust network of over 170 public, private, and philanthropic investors as well as sponsors of blended finance transactions. To accelerate advances in the field, Convergence also provides grants through its Design Funding program, which funds the design of new blended finance solutions.
We are small but mighty. Join us if you want to be part of a global and energetic team with a unique role at the intersection of development and finance. We are passionate about and united around the goal of directing money to where it’s needed most – into developing countries and towards achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We have built a culture defined by our diversity, inclusivity, and ability to get things done. As part of our relatively new and growing organization, you can be sure that you’ll have a voice and leave your mark. Finally, we take our team members’ growth and well-being seriously, so we offer opportunities for professional development and team building as well as flexible schedules and generous time off policies.
Convergence has built a robust network of relationships across Africa and developed a deep knowledge of how blended finance contributes to the financial architecture of the region. We want to further grow and build on our presence in the region and accelerate the use of blended finance to propel African nations toward the achievement of the SDGs. The Sr. Associate/Manager will develop strategic ties in the region and will focus on maintaining existing relationships as well as generating membership and partnership leads with local and regional financial institutions as well innovative organizations seeking blended finance solutions. Convergence is headquartered in Toronto and the ideal candidate would reside in Nairobi. You will report to the Associate Director, Training and Engagement who is based in Kigali and will work closely with our teams based in Toronto, Singapore, La Paz, and Washington, DC.
Convergence is seeking a Senior Associate / Manager who will report and work collaboratively with the Associate Director, Training and Engagement. The individual will be instrumental in building out the organization’s offerings across the continent by maintaining key relationships, helping to build blended finance capacity. The role also requires supporting and representing Convergence’s work as it relates to identifying, reviewing and managing the regions pipeline of blended finance projects, funds seeking to raise capital as well as nurturing and delivering on key partnerships and strategic initiatives.
The following comprises the core responsibilities of the Senior Associate/Manager, however, the scope will evolve over time to match the region’s dynamic requirements.
Engagement and Training:
- Support in execution of Convergence’s Africa strategy by working on key activities to deepen and broaden our presence in the region
- Maintain and deepen existing relationships across all levels with Convergence’s regional members and partners
- Conduct a landscape scan to identify high priority prosects to draw into Convergence’s network as members
- Onboard investors and deal sponsors as members, including follow-on support (operational and administrative) to ensure maximum engagement and use of the platform and network
- Building on these relationships, identify opportunities to have field-level impact through joint initiatives, training, design funding, and other offerings from Convergence’s suite of competencies
- Generate prospects of regional members who turn to us frequently for blended finance data, insights, capacity building, and networking
- Identify and attend high-value external conferences and events to generate new leads and be the first point of contact for relationships in the region, passing specific relationships to others on the team as appropriate
- Review the landscape for additional high-value strategic relationships Convergence could build with complementary initiatives, channel partners, and other global or regional organizations to augment the role and use of blended finance in the region
- Represent and participate in Convergence workshops and other business development speaking opportunities designed to educate and build capacity around blended finance amongst world-class funders and investors
- Develop tailored content for engagement with external audiences, including supporting the delivery of training, capacity building, and knowledge sharing sessions.
- Develop and produce thought leadership pieces (i.e., blog posts, articles, and op-eds etc.) covering blended finance topics of interest to Convergence’s members, funders, and other stakeholder.
- Lead and facilitate technical discussions on blended finance across select forums.
- Identify blended finance transactions in target markets that should feature in the organization’s online platform.
- Assist the compliance team to ensure the timely set-up and approval of members and transactions.
- Support member pipeline development through preparation of marketing and briefing materials, working closely with the broader Convergence team.
- Communicate client needs and interests to internal stakeholders.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
We are looking for experienced candidates with 5-7 years of investment transaction and relationship management experience in the region. The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and relationship-building skills
- Have a deep knowledge and understanding of the finance for development landscape in Africa
- An extensive network within financial, granting, or development circles in the region
- Ability to work effectively whilst working remotely and with a multi-continent, multi-cultural team
- Direct experience in financial structuring, corporate finance, or investor relations in an investment/commercial bank, DFI or investment advisory firm
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency in French would be advantageous
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to apply early and in advance of the application deadline of September 29, 2023. Please note that you are required to submit a cover letter that discusses your interest in development, blended finance, and Convergence. Please note that due to the high volume of applications, we will only contact those selected for interviews.
Convergence believes in an inclusive environment. We celebrate the different viewpoints and experiences our diverse team members bring to our organization. Convergence encourages all individuals motivated by our mission and mandate to apply.