Senior Associate/Manager, Asia-Pacific
Convergence SingaporeFull TimeSingapore
Convergence is the global network for blended finance. Blended finance is the use of catalytic public or philanthropic capital to increase private sector investment in places that need it most. We are the source for everything blended finance, including deals, data, reports, trainings, webinars, and much more. At Convergence, we believe that blended finance can disrupt traditional development finance as we know it, by attracting private sector funds to developing countries in volumes never before seen.
Convergence is a not-for-profit headquartered in Toronto. We operate globally and have a presence in Singapore, La Paz, Kigali, and Washington DC. Over the last seven years, we have built a robust network of over 170 public, private, and philanthropic investors as well as sponsors of blended finance transactions. To accelerate advances in the field, Convergence also provides grants through its Design Funding program, which funds the design of new blended finance solutions.
We are small but mighty. Join us if you want to be part of a global and energetic team with a unique role at the intersection of development and finance. We are passionate about and united around the goal of directing money to where it’s needed most – into developing countries and towards achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We have built a culture defined by our diversity, inclusivity, and ability to get things done. As part of our relatively new and growing organization, you can be sure that you’ll have a voice and leave your mark. Finally, we take our team members’ growth and well-being seriously, so we offer opportunities for professional development and team building as well as flexible schedules and generous time off policies.
Convergence has built a robust network of relationships across the Asia-Pacific and seeks to further expand its Asia presence. The Sr. Associate/Manager will be a critical component of the firm’s ability to execute on Convergence’s strategy in the region and will focus on maintaining existing relationships as well as generating membership and partnership leads with local and regional stakeholders. We are looking for someone with strong experience in client service, business development, and/or relationship/account management. The Asia-Pacific Region Sr. Associate/Manager is expected to be based in Singapore and will work closely with all our staff globally and report into the Senior Advisor, Asia-Pacific, who is also based in Singapore.
The Sr. Associate/Manager will be instrumental in executing on Convergence’ s Asia-Pacific Region Strategy. You will help drive growth in the region by maintaining relationships, helping to enhance blended finance capacity, and representing Convergence’s work as it relates to the identifying, reviewing, and managing the region’s pipeline of blended finance projects, companies, and funds seeking to raise capital, as well partnerships and strategic initiatives. You will also be responsible for supporting Convergence’s new and emerging Design Funding activity in the region by feeding supporting overall program management and feeding into business development efforts.
In close collaboration with Senior Advisor, Asia-Pacific, the Sr. Associate/Manager will help build out the firm’s offerings across the continent, including working with key stakeholders in the private, public, and philanthropic sectors to support the origination and execution of blended finance transactions. The specific job level and title will be dependent on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant.
The following comprises the core responsibilities of the Associate, Asia-Pacific; however, the scope will evolve over time to match the region’s dynamic requirements.
Engagement, Training & Content – 75%
- Support the execution of Convergence’s regional strategy in the Asia-Pacific working on key activities to deepen our presence in the region and build a robust network of stakeholders and partners on the ground.
- Develop tailored content for engagement with external audiences, including supporting the delivery of training, capacity building, and knowledge sharing sessions.
- Identify blended finance transactions in target markets that should feature in the organization’s online platform and work with the Senior Advisor, Asia-Pacific on strategy for outreach, conversion, and onboarding.
- Support development of Asia centric knowledge and research in collaboration with the internal knowledge team and external stakeholders in the Asian ecosystem
- Identify opportunities, lead discussions with partners, and grow partner relationships.
- Analyze data to help drive growth and to develop new and existing business opportunities.
- Interface directly with Convergence members focused on the Asia-Pacific region, providing a single point of contact.
- Onboard investors and deal sponsors, including follow-on support (operational and administrative) to ensure maximum use of the platform.
- Assist the compliance team to ensure the timely set-up and approval of members and transactions.
- Support and track member communication, including researching trends, analyzing data, and identifying opportunities for engagement.
- Support member pipeline development through preparation of marketing and briefing materials, writing articles or blog posts, and working closely with the broader Convergence team.
- Communicate client needs to internal stakeholders.
- Maintain open, thorough, and regular communication with cross-functional teams
Design Funding & Market Acceleration – 25%
- Support the Asia Climate Solutions Design Grant (ACS) program including activities ranging from pipeline generation, managing applications, reviewing concept notes and proposals, supporting due diligence, preparing draft memos and presentations for Funding Committee Meetings and Board approval.
- Support the ACS program activities including assistance to manage regular status reviews, review of key deliverables relevant to milestone achievement, and input on the overall structuring approach.
- Contribute toward stakeholder engagement for the ACS program such as engaging with partners and donors, recording key metrics and results of the program for donor reports, and providing inputs to the development of concept notes and proposals.
The Senior/Manager Associate will be based in Singapore and will be required to engage with global organizations, therefore, will have early morning or late evening/night telephone meetings. These working hours will be accommodated through flexible working arrangements.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Masters (preferred) or Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, finance, or a related field with an excellent academic record from a reputable institution.
- Minimum of 5 years’ work experience (4+ Sr. Associate) in financial services or consulting, demonstrating ability to deliver results through both independent and collaborative work.
- Must be a Singapore National or Permanent Resident.
- Experience in and an understanding of user growth strategies and partnership models and working with product and cross functional teams.
- Creative and strategic thinker who enjoys brainstorming new opportunities with co-workers and partners.
- Strong project management skills and a track record of on-time delivery.
- Good interpersonal skills, including communication, networking, prospect identification, and relationship-building.
- Interest in and knowledge of private sector participation/development issues in emerging and frontier markets.
- Strong motivation to create impact and advance SDGs in the region.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to apply early and in advance of the application deadline of 5:00 p.m. SGT on October 10, 2023. Please note that you are required to submit a cover letter that discusses your interest in development, blended finance, and Convergence, and identify the main challenges faced by Asia-Pacific countries in their quest to finance SDG related projects. Please note that due to the high volume of applications, we will only contact those selected for interviews.
Convergence believes in an inclusive environment. We celebrate the different viewpoints and experiences our diverse team members bring to our organization. Convergence encourages all individuals motivated by our mission and mandate to apply.