Editor in Chief
EditorialFull TimeToronto, ON
POSITION: EDITOR IN CHIEF
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: FULL TIME-PERMANENT
REPORTS TO: PUBLISHER
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2022
Canadaland is an independent news and podcast company consistently producing some of the best audio journalism in the country. Through the ongoing support of our growing community of over 10,000 supporters and a wide range of advertisers and partners, we provide over 150,000 listeners a week with free, high-quality audio content focused on media, news, current affairs, politics, and more. Between our flagship show Canadaland, our broad slate of widely popular podcasts, and our critically acclaimed limited series, our journalism has become renowned in Canada and internationally for telling compelling stories not being told otherwise, for giving voice to a wide array or perspectives and points of view, and for sparking vital conversations about the past, present, and future of Canada.
ABOUT THE JOB:
Canadaland is looking for an experienced journalist and editor to lead our newsroom. You will set our editorial vision and execute it with support from our Managing Editor and our excellent team of audio journalists and reporters. This is the top editorial position in our organization and you will be responsible for the quality and accuracy of our investigations, reporting, and analysis. You will have control of our editorial budget and the ability to invest in long-term, enterprise investigations and projects. You will be primarily focused on our flagship Monday edition of the CANADALAND podcast, and you will also oversee our politics podcast, our documentary series, our news analysis podcasts, and our Ontario politics podcast.
This is a full-time, Toronto-based position reporting to the Publisher. Canadaland offers a competitive salary, a generous health spending account, professional development funds, annual vacation and additional vacation during our December holiday office closure, and an opportunity to grow and play a vital role within a mission driven media organization that is an increasingly important part of the Canadian media diet.
- Make top-level decisions across the network regarding hosts, hiring, season topics, editorial direction, written posts, investigative priorities and allocation of resources.
- Set the weekly schedule for the Monday edition of CANADALAND, delegate tasks to the Monday show team, oversee these episodes from pitch to publication.
- Provide regular post-publication feedback to showrunners of all podcasts on the network.
- Maintain the line between the editorial and business divisions of the company and ensure adherence to journalistic standards.
- Develop new series and seasons as needed.
- Seek and recruit new on-air talent as needed.
- Maintain and expand Canadaland’s role and reputation in the news ecosystem as a source of daring original investigations, accountability journalism on the media, critical analysis, breaking news, and crucial, engaging storytelling.
- 9+ years combined experience in reporting, investigations, editing, and newsroom leadership.
- Excellent news sense, high literacy in Canadian politics and media, well-honed sense of story structure.
- Audio journalism experience (not mandatory, but a strong plus)
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadline, energetic and proactive, good at project management and cross-team collaboration
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Passion and purpose, a clear sense of direction as to what can and should be done with a news platform like ours.
Canadaland is dedicated to sharing stories and perspectives of and about the people, issues and events that shape our country, and we encourage respectful discussion and debate to foster greater understanding and empathy.
An integral component of this is Canadaland’s commitment to fostering an organizational culture that brings together people with different races, identities, abilities, experiences and skills. Canadaland is committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve in the stories we present and also in our workforce. We encourage applications from diverse communities and welcome applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Canadaland encourages applications from qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the hiring manager to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to the accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, January 27, 2023