Senior Producer, CANADALAND (Monday Show)
EditorialFull TimeToronto, ON
Salary Range: 60 - 70k
We are an independent news and podcast company producing the best audio journalism in the country. Through a mix of listener support and advertising, we provide 150,000 listeners a week with free, high-quality content focused on media, news, current affairs, politics, and more.
We are looking for an experienced audio journalist to join the team of our flagship Monday podcast, CANADALAND. Each Monday brings a report, an interview, or a documentary on one key story that our listeners need to know about, need to know more about, or need to hear about in a whole new way. We are looking for an experienced, creative, technically adept and news-literate audio journalist to work with our host, managing editor, production team, and a growing network of reporters and contributors on increasingly ambitious episodes of CANADALAND.
What you’ll do:
You’ll work closely with CANADALAND’s team, pitch show ideas, assess pitches, and take a lead role in developing and producing individual episodes. You will research topics, choose guests, and write questions for our host. You will produce and edit interviews. Sometimes you will gather audio, or work with freelancers to do so. You will work with our host, production team, and freelance contributors to write scripts, incorporate music and sound design, and deliver packaged, broadcast-ready podcasts, on deadline. You will make audio documentaries, sometimes in collaboration with outside contributors who may rely on you for production expertise. You will, at various times, be called on to do a variety of tasks to support the show, from fact-checking and metadata entry to conducting interviews yourself.
What you’ll bring:
- Good news judgment and high journalistic standards.
- A sophisticated sense of storytelling. You should have extensive experience figuring out how to tell a story, how to structure a story and how to fix a story that isn’t working.
- Story ideas, and the ability to generate new story ideas, along with an enthusiasm for developing them into original pieces in a variety of formats.
- Experience with newsgathering and carrying out original reporting projects.
- Familiarity with Canadian news, politics, and media criticism
- Audio-editing skills. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated high-level audio-editing ability. Candidates with intermediate audio-editing skills and a desire to deepen them may be considered.
- A facility and willingness to collaborate and the ability to both take direction and to give direction.
- An ear for great podcasts/radio, as demonstrated by your portfolio of finished work.
- Experience with vetting show pitches and guiding a story development process.
- Patience for the rigours of a newsroom, in which stories are killed, standards are upheld, and deadlines are met.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to shifting news and production plans on short notice.
- A passion for audio journalism, curiosity about new storytelling formats, and a drive to build something great together.
- Desire to work in a respectful, creative, and fun environment with other smart, decent people who value such things.
- Fluency in French or another language besides English is a plus.
Working at Canadaland:
This is a permanent, full-time, unionized position with benefits — including a health spending account, professional development funds, flexible hours, and paid vacation. Being based in the Greater Toronto Area is an asset, but not required. Candidates working remotely will work during business hours in the Eastern Time zone. Some evening and weekend work will be required. The Senior Producer, CANADALAND (Monday Episodes), reports to the Managing Editor of Podcasts.
Canadaland is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. BIPOC and LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: Midnight - Sunday, September 12, 2021