(New Grad) Backend Cloud Software Developer (Remote within Canada)
Location: Remote within Canada, or Ottawa
At BluWave-ai our mission is to deliver innovative AI solutions to accelerate the transformation towards renewable energy. We apply AI software to increase the use of clean energy in smart grids and microgrids with distributed energy resources and demand response. We are also driving the transition to electrification of transportation as the grid becomes the local gas station.
We are looking for talented people with entrepreneurial drive to seize on the ground floor opportunities, grow their careers, and make a positive impact for the environment.
Also, this position is remote within Canada.
Who you are
- You love doing backend software development because dealing with a streaming data, large volumes of data, and building an efficient system that just hums along and is always online excites you
- You enjoy building reusable and flexibile systems that are easy to reconfigure to handle different scenarios
- You love to keep on top of the latest and greatest in technology, and are able to be opinionated on which are winners, and which are hype
- Design, develop, and support all aspects of our product platform on both cloud and edge components, including the areas of: Data model and access, High-availability, Fault-tolerance, Scalability, IOT protocols, Edge computing, AI infrastructure, Security consciousness
- Work closely with front-end, product management, data science, QA, and Support to build and support product
- Analyze, scope, review, and estimate development activities
- Be the subject matter expert of your ownership areas of the product
- Participate in evolving the team’s processes so we’re efficient, and loving what we do
Your Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
- Experience with multi-threaded concurrent systems in a producer-consumer pattern
- An understanding of how distributed systems can be built to be fault-tolerant
- Skilled in Object Oriented Programming
- 3 years of experience in Golang, Java, C++, or equivalent (academic projects count)
- An understanding of insert and query efficiency in RDBMS (such as PostgreSQL or MySQL)
- Experience with one IaaS provider
- Clear verbal and written communication and the ability collaborate effectively in a geographically dispersed working environment
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent
Considered an asset:
- Experience with Python
- Experience building software with different datastore technologies other than RDBMS
- An understanding of Docker
- Familiarity with IOT communications methods
- Experience developing integrations with electric utility products, SCADA systems, power-control systems
What you will gain
- Knowledge, skills, and professional networking in one of the most exciting and positively impactful technology domains that is an intersection of machine learning, data science, electrical engineering, and software
- Startup experience and ground floor opportunities for growth in a team that includes PhD Smart Grid Engineers, Data Scientists, recent grads, and seasoned business professionals
- Competitive compensation
- High quality of life and career in Canada's National Capital Region
- Working on a team with a serious approach towards our work, rather than ourselves, together with fun and random team events such as Ice Cream Fridays and Cosmological Lunches. You will get the opportunity to come up with one
Diversity makes us stronger. BluWave-ai provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, nation origin, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, or ordinances.
Authorization to work in Canada will be required for this position.
During COVID work is 100% remote so immediate relocation is not required.