Backend Cloud Software Developer
EngineeringFull TimeOttawa, ON
At BluWave-ai our mission is to deliver innovative AI solutions to accelerate the transformation towards renewable energy. We apply AI to increase the use of clean energy in smart grids and microgrids with distributed energy resources and demand response. We are driving the transition to electrification of transportation as the grid becomes the local gas station.
We are looking for software developers that are inspired by generalizing designs at all layers to handle different types of data to join us to build our software-as-a-service platform.
Who you are
- You love doing backend software development because being efficient on costs and scale along with optimizing data designs, write and read paths excites you!
- You love to keep on top of the latest and greatest in technology, and are able to be opinionated on which are winners, and which are hype
- You’re a strong believer in Continuous integration, and the DevOps mindset
- You think it is critical to understand of how your software runs on infrastructure in detail, and are experienced in how it should be designed
- You like working in teams, mentoring, and sharing neat things you come across and enjoy
About the role
This role is responsible for all aspects of the backend of our system from how we connect to and ingest the data, how we store it, how we retrieve it, and how we make it available to all other parts of the system that depend on us in an efficient and timely manner. It is a critical layer of the system that always needs-to-be-available, and has to be ready to keep scaling up as more customers and data come in.
The role's responsibilities include:
- Architecting, designing, developing, and supporting the platform on both cloud and edge components (Golang, and Python), including the areas of: Data model and access, High-availability, Fault-tolerance, Scalability, IOT protocols, Edge computing, IaaS platforms, AI infrastructure, security consciousness
- Work closely with product management, data science, QA, and Support to build and support product
- Analyze, scope, review, and estimate development activities
- Be the subject matter expert of your ownership areas of the product
- Participate in evolving the team’s processes so we’re efficient, and loving what we do
- Mentor less experienced team members
Your Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
- 3 years of experience developing and delivering products to that have to be fault-tolerant, and performant
- 3 years of experience in Golang, Java, Scala, or equivalent
- 3 years of experience with Object Oriented Programming, multi-threading, and concurrency
- Experience with the databases (Relation and/or NoSQL) and query considerations with large amounts of data
- Clear verbal and written communication and the ability collaborate effectively in a geographically dispersed working environment
Considered an asset:
- Experience with building Data Engineering for Machine Learning
- Experience building software in microservices architecture in a Container environment
- Experience with at least one cloud IaaS provider
- Familiarity with IOT communications methods
- Experience with how to monitor live operations
- Experience developing integrations with electric utility products, SCADA systems, power-control systems
What you will gain
- Knowledge, skills, and professional networking in one of the most exciting and positively impactful technology domains that is an intersection of machine learning, data science, electrical engineering, and software
- Startup experience and ground floor opportunities for growth in a team that includes PhD Smart Grid Engineers, Data Scientists, recent grads, and seasoned business professionals
- Competitive compensation
- High quality of life and career in Canada's National Capital Region
- Working on a team with a serious approach towards our work, rather than ourselves, together with fun and random team events such as Ice Cream Fridays and Cosmological Lunches. You will get the opportunity to come up with one
Diversity makes us stronger. BluWave-ai provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, nation origin, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, or ordinances.
Authorization to work in Canada will be required for this position.