Senior Backend Software Developer
EngineeringFull TimeOttawa, ON
At BluWave-ai our mission is to deliver innovative AI solutions to accelerate the transformation towards renewable energy. We apply AI to increase the use of clean energy in smart grids and microgrids with distributed energy resources, demand response, and transactive business models.
We are looking for talented people with entrepreneurial drive to seize on the ground floor opportunities, grow their careers, and make a positive impact for the environment.
Who you are
- You love doing backend software development because being efficient on costs and scale along with optimizing data models, write and read paths excites you!
- You love to keep on top of the latest and greatest in technology, and are able to be opinionated on which are winners, and which are hype
- You’re a strong believer in Continuous integration, and the DevOps mindset
- You think it is critical to understand of how your software runs on infrastructure in detail, and are experienced in how it should be designed
- You like working in teams, mentoring, and sharing neat things you come across enjoy
- Architect, design, develop, and support all aspects of our product platform on both cloud and edge components, including the areas of: Data model and access, High-availability, Fault-tolerance, Scalability, IOT protocols, Edge computing, IaaS platforms, AI infrastructure, Security consciousness
- Work closely with product management, data science, QA, and Support to build and support product
- Analyze, scope, review, and estimate development activities
- Be the subject matter expert of your ownership areas of the product
- Participate in evolving the team’s processes so we’re efficient, and loving what we do
- Mentor less experienced team members
Your Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
- 5 years of experience developing and delivering distributed systems to production that have to be highly available, fault-tolerant, and scalable
- 5 years of experience in Golang, Java, Scala, or equivalent
- Multiple products and releases of your architectures, designs, and code deployed live at scale and having to support it with customers at arms length
- Experience developing streaming data analytics including the storage and access challenges at scale and in production
- Experience building software in microservices architecture in a Container environment that have gone to production
- Experience building software with different datastore technologies and when to use each type
- Experience with at least once IaaS provider
- Clear verbal and written communication and the ability collaborate effectively in a geographically dispersed working environment
- Track record of mentoring developers to become top recognized developers in an organization
Considered an asset:
- Experience with building Machine Learning pipelines
- Familiarity with IOT communications methods
- Experience with how to monitor live operations
- Experience developing integrations with electric utility products, SCADA systems, power-control systems
What you will gain
- Knowledge, skills, and professional networking in one of the most exciting and positively impactful technology domains that is an intersection of machine learning, data science, electrical engineering, and software
- Startup experience and ground floor opportunities for growth in a team that includes PhD Smart Grid Engineers, Data Scientists, recent grads, and seasoned business professionals
- Competitive compensation
- High quality of life and career in Canada's National Capital Region
- Working on a team with a serious approach towards our work, rather than ourselves, together with fun and random team events such as Ice Cream Fridays and Cosmological Lunches. You will get the opportunity to come up with one
Diversity makes us stronger. BluWave-ai provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, nation origin, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, or ordinances.
Authorization to work in Canada will be required for this position.