Electronics Designer (Hardware/Firmware)
EngineeringFull TimeOakville, ON
Headquartered in Canada for over 20 years, Avnan provides a single point of accountability for electronic sourcing solutions. We provide custom product development, global manufacturing and supply chain/logistics management to Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) customers.
We Help Our Customers Build the Best Products on the Market.
We work on a wide assortment of customized electronic and electromechanical assemblies in a variety of industries, including consumer appliances, and specialize at finding creative ways to reduce supply chain complexity.
We are seeking an experienced Electronics Designer (Hardware/Firmware) to join our dynamic engineering team located in Oakville, Canada. As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to flex your problem-solving skills and contribute your technical knowledge to come up with creative solutions on a wide variety of customized projects.
Our strength is the ability to turn ideas into reality.
The Electronics Designer (Hardware/Firmware) will be responsible for the design and testing of electronic controls for residential appliances. In this role, you will be tasked with designing BOTH hardware and development of embedded software. You will work collaboratively with other engineers and technicians to ensure that designs are reliable, cost efficient and meet customer requirements.
In this role, your areas of responsibility will include (but will not be limited to):
Hardware (50% of time)
• Electronic Design (from Concept to Final) for new project opportunity
• Analog and digital circuits, schematic and BOM design
• Verify product specifications and Design Validation Plan
• PCB layout and Assembly drawing using AutoCAD
• Circuit simulation using OrCAD
Embedded Firmware (40% of time)
• Work closely with other hardware electronics designers to define system architectures of products
• Architect, develop, debug, validate and release software to production on new platforms. Software will vary from low level device drivers, simplified O/S system application and test software.
• Software design in assembly, C language, or C++
• Liaise with customers on software design. Create software flow diagrams with script from customers.
• Develop and maintain documentation of software and specifications as required
• Work with our overseas team to develop and test software
• Maintain and continuously improve software function, code quality through version control. Continuously look for areas of improvement in functionality, reliability and testing
• Assist with set up of Labview, ST Link (or other software debug tools) to identify root causes and determine proper fixes for software issues
• Architectural implementation of IoT or Cloud-based solutions together with Avnan’s business development
Other Tasks (10% of time)
• Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE) costs and schedules
• Create engineering document for new products
• Build and test product prototypes and samples per BOM, and Gerbers etc.
• Inspect and test samples and prototypes as required
• RMA Analysis, find out root causes and help factories improve quality
To be successful in this role, you possess:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum of 5 years of electrical/electronic engineering design with demonstrated experience in firmware development on embedded processors
• Technical report writing and drawing, writing technical documentation and sequence diagrams
• Experience managing a full cycle design project, from development to production release
• Solid working knowledge of IoT strategy, standards and protocols.
• Machine, equipment and/or tool operation:
• Schematic, PCB layout and design
• Draft Assembly Drawing
• Circuit simulation
• Multimeter, Oscilloscope, Power analyzer, Thermo-tester, MPLAB developer etc.
• Use of hand and power tools to make prototypes
• Altium Designer, AutoCAD, OrCAD-PSpice
• C/C++, Keil or IAR, ST Link, Embedded Software Development, assembly language, production test philosophy, LabVIEW / data logger, Make utility programs
Our ideal candidate is technically sound in both electrical/mechanical parts, with the ability to apply strong logical thinking to creative designs. We offer flexibility, work life balance and a positive culture for the right candidate.
To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume quoting the above job title to the email indicated within.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Avnan will provide accommodations on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please contact our HR department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.